Pumping sandworms - Need help

Ploh

Pumping sandworms - Need help

Post by Ploh » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:49 am

G'day guys,

I've been pumping worms for years now but one issue I have always had is trying to get bait when the tide is a bit higher than normal, even at low tide.
I usually check online to see what the low tide levels are like - when it says 0.35m or lower, it usually means that there is exposed sand and I can see the tubes and know where to pump. However on some days, the lowest tide is at 3am and the second low tide is at a more reasonable time. However these second tides are usually at around 0.5m where no sand is exposed.

I'm just wondering whether it's worth pumping when I can't see the sand not to mention how difficult it is to get the sand into the sieve. Yet I always see people in waders much further out than I am pumping in knee high water. I've never been able to work out how they pump so many worms though.
Thoughts?

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: Pumping sandworms - Need help

Post by Texas » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:04 am

Pumping worms at Bemm River, years ago, depth made no difference.
I suppose you lose some while lifting the pump to the seive .
Sometimes you could not see the bottom & you'd get water down the front of your waders.
But the worms kept coming.

Not an expert
Gra

Ploh

Post by Ploh » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:10 am

Texas wrote:Pumping worms at Bemm River, years ago, depth made no difference.
I suppose you lose some while lifting the pump to the seive .
Sometimes you could not see the bottom & you'd get water down the front of your waders.
But the worms kept coming.

Not an expert
Gra
Thanks Gra. How would you know where to pump if you couldn't see the bottom?

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:32 am

Have you seen them under water scope things ppl make to see through under water? Perhaps you could make a little one and use it to help locate them worm holes

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:43 pm

Do it quite a bit mate, its harder work and colder this time of year but it can save stuffing around waiting for tides. A big floating sieve and floating bucket are necessary, i just move around until i find a patch or the right sort of ground and pump, if i dont hit worms after 2 or 3 pumps i keep moving.
Often its the deeper spots that will see more worms as in shallow is usually pumped to the point of no return in most of the popular spots i.e altona beach

Ploh

Post by Ploh » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:48 pm

fitzy90 wrote:Do it quite a bit mate, its harder work and colder this time of year but it can save stuffing around waiting for tides. A big floating sieve and floating bucket are necessary, i just move around until i find a patch or the right sort of ground and pump, if i dont hit worms after 2 or 3 pumps i keep moving.
Often its the deeper spots that will see more worms as in shallow is usually pumped to the point of no return in most of the popular spots i.e altona beach
Cheers Fitzy. Yeah it definitely is much colder this time of the year. I'm probably going to invest in a set of waders soon. So far I've just been roughing it with a pair of shorts. I have a floating sieve but I've recently bought a bigger one. I'll give it a go later today and let you know how it is. I've got my own quiet spot that doesn't see that much abuse which is good.

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:58 pm

Ploh wrote:
fitzy90 wrote:Do it quite a bit mate, its harder work and colder this time of year but it can save stuffing around waiting for tides. A big floating sieve and floating bucket are necessary, i just move around until i find a patch or the right sort of ground and pump, if i dont hit worms after 2 or 3 pumps i keep moving.
Cheers Fitzy. Yeah it definitely is much colder this time of the year. I'm probably going to invest in a set of waders soon. So far I've just been roughing it with a pair of shorts. I have a floating sieve but I've recently bought a bigger one. I'll give it a go later today and let you know how it is. I've got my own quiet spot that doesn't see that much abuse which is good.
After a few times you will start to notice the difference in sand / mud and weeds when you walk over them and be able to tell if your in the right spots.
I just ripped my waders over a fence last week so im in the market for a new pair too!

Ploh

Post by Ploh » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:29 pm

fitzy90 wrote:
Ploh wrote:
After a few times you will start to notice the difference in sand / mud and weeds when you walk over them and be able to tell if your in the right spots.
I just ripped my waders over a fence last week so im in the market for a new pair too!
Reckon you could describe our technique to me?
I've always been pulling out full cylinders off dirt/sand and then putting it in my sieve. Am I supposed to be pulling up silty stuff instead of whole blocks?
Not sure if my pump is tightened too much either?
I swear some days I get plenty and others I work for hours for it.

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:01 pm

Ploh wrote:
fitzy90 wrote:
Ploh wrote:
I've always been pulling out full cylinders off dirt/sand and then putting it in my sieve. Am I supposed to be pulling up silty stuff instead of whole blocks?
i find the muddy / silty stuff to be better, usually sits just under or around weed patches. i have 3 pumps per hole, the first is a bug pump as much as you can get this will be the compact stuff you will need to break up, the second and third are in the same hole, but only go half way down, this sucks any worms from the surrounding area in and is mainly silty muddy water.

Ploh

Post by Ploh » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:33 pm

fitzy90 wrote:
Ploh wrote:
fitzy90 wrote:
Ploh wrote:
i find the muddy / silty stuff to be better, usually sits just under or around weed patches. i have 3 pumps per hole, the first is a bug pump as much as you can get this will be the compact stuff you will need to break up, the second and third are in the same hole, but only go half way down, this sucks any worms from the surrounding area in and is mainly silty muddy water.

I just finished up pumping worms in about thigh height, freezing water. Had trouble for the first hour or so but I ended up pumping around weed patches which I've never done before (I didn't get to read your reply before I started). So coincidentally worked out well. Got plenty of bait for a night of fishing for bream. Cheers for the tips though, Fitzy.

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”