Care of gps

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Care of gps

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:28 am

Just wondering on what peoples thoughts are about leaving gps's on the boat while in park on trailer in driveway.
Mine is behind locked gates.
If fishing weekly or so i tend to lave it.
If its going to be a while before going out i remove it,
Judt wondering if i should put some sort of cover over it during hot weather?

What are your thoughts?
What do you do?

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Re: Care of gps

Post by re-tyred » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:44 am

I put a towel over mine if I don't put the boat cover on. Weather is pretty tough on them. The more they are exposed the sooner the seals will leak. Hot and cold tends to distort the plastic. I am not keen on removing them as the plugs and sockets eventually start to give trouble. I just unplug mine a couple of times a year and check the plugs and sockets. When I put them back I put a very small amount of lanoline based grease on the plug. In my 30 years of marine electronic repairs most failures, of small sounders and GPS, are due to water ingress through failed seals and damaged plugs.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:23 am

If you remove your Rods and Reels from boat and put away securely between trips, why not the GPS - Store GPS with Rods / Reels so you do not leave behind/forget. Prevention of Theft/Damage is better than potentially having to buy a replacement. Leaving in boat is only tempting fate.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:57 am

I have never removed mine. And it's on a centre console.
Maybe ill dry draping a towel over it next time mainly for protection from heat/sun etc. . Its in a locked up carport so not always visible to outsiders

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:12 pm

russellh2 wrote:If you remove your Rods and Reels from boat and put away securely between trips, why not the GPS - Store GPS with Rods / Reels so you do not leave behind/forget. Prevention of Theft/Damage is better than potentially having to buy a replacement. Leaving in boat is only tempting fate.
I leave the rods i use often in the boat.

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”