Burst PFD

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Burst PFD

Post by skronkman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:08 pm

so I checked the gas cartridges on my PFDs today, rusty as anything and time to replace them and do the service tests. I decided to pull the toggle to inflate them and see how they go as I was throwing out the cartridge anyhow and it would save me having to inflate them by mouth. I inflated 3 PFDs and jumped in the pool with one to see how they went. To be honest, it didn't seem to hold my head up very well and I felt like I could easily have my head slip through and go under water. Anyhow, I took it off to dry off and I hear "BANG!" , it scared the heck out of me and the thing had exploded, tearing itself open about 20cm along a seam. Luckily the other 2 were Fine. It seems crazy to me that this is possible and they don't have an over pressure release valve or something. admittedly they are about 2-3 years old.

Anyhow, I'm just writing this up to remind people that you do need to check your life jackets and test them, if not for your own safety then to avoid a fine if you get checked (I've never actually heard of anyone being checked for life jackets being serviced but you never know). The service procedure will be on the manufacturers website for your specific life jacket. And I think it has to be done annually.

Also, the cartridges are usually about $20-$30 each but by chance I went to anaconda and they had a special discount on them, marked down from $30 to $10, when I got to the register they scanned at $5 each. So if you need them for your PFDs go check out anaconda and hopefully you get lucky on the price too.

Also, also, I decided to dip my new cartridges in killrust enamel paint before installing them into the PFDs. Hopefully they resist the elements better with this coating. It's crazy that they aren't made of stainless steel or something other than plain old steel which rusts like nobodies business in salt water environments. My suspicious mind tells me that this is designed obsolescence and a way for the manufactures and retailers to boost sales but who knows. I'm a sucker for conspiracy theories.

Edited for brevity and accuracy.
Last edited by skronkman on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Burst PFD

Post by Nude up » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:56 pm

The cartridges have a life of ten years hydrostatic test dates. The date of manufacture should be stamped on them. As for stainless steel I think it’s the cost to manufacture and they still have to be pressure tested every ten years.
On aircraft the life jacket under your seat is in a sealed bag has a life of ten years then thrown away they never get checked for inflation only use by date and the condition of the bag.
Interesting that one burst left in the sun

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Burst PFD

Post by skronkman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:03 pm

Thanks nude. I had no idea of the 10 year lifespan. My info just states that they must appear in good order and not rusty. Cheers.

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”