Favourite Floats

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Favourite Floats

Post by Charles7 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:46 pm

For all the float fishos out there, particularly those of you that fish freshwater, what are your favourite floats? I've been using those little red and white clip floats for years, easy to see and easy to rig but I'm starting to get a little annoyed with them. They often slip down the line, causing me to fish higher up the water column than intended. I also think they might be impeding my strike rate. I think anything other than an upwards strike tends to have less impact as the float seems to take the sting out of my strike. There are times when I am casting underneath overhanging trees so low that an upwards strike would have me sticking my rod up a bird's behind and of course if I miss the strike, the rig ends up wrapped around a branch. I'm keen to try wagglers, pencils, bubble floats and whatever else I can find but was curious as to what other people find successful.

Redzia90

Re: Favourite Floats

Post by Redzia90 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:03 pm

I get mine from uk , i use drennan crystal wagglers , self cocking ( loaded ) ones . 2 small dust shot , 1 either side pinched onto the line . Nice and east to adjust . Sometimes if im fishing really shallow , i use a waggler with medical tape to tape the line down the float , wrapped around the top and some round the bottom with no shot on the line so the float lays flat on the surface so it doesnt spook the fish , this is called stret pegging and is my personal favorite , i love seeing the float glide off

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:26 pm

Charles7 wrote:
I've been using those little red and white clip floats for years, easy to see and easy to rig but I'm starting to get a little annoyed with them. They often slip down the line, causing me to fish higher up the water column than intended.

I hear ya Charles7

I use floats spasmodically but the most annoying thing with some is how to get them on your line AND make them adjustable when required. I have come up with this way that I'm partly happy with AND you don't have to cut the line and re tie a swivel or have slipping and annoying float stops on the mianline. This method you can change the size of the float without to much problem.

1. Make a loop in the mainline and then pass that loop through the top of the float
squid float 1.JPG
squid float 1.JPG (21.69 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
2. Pass the swivel through the loop that appears at the bottom of the float
squid float 2.JPG
squid float 2.JPG (21.39 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
3. Pull line tight
squid float 3.JPG
squid float 3.JPG (17.67 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
Cheers, Bugatti

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:12 pm

For all my trout fishing I'll use nothing but small clear bubble floats which allow you to fill to your desired level with water. You hold them in place by pushing a small twig into one of the small holes the line goes through. Have used them for 40 yrs since I was a kid. Favourite are French Buldo Bonnand. In the picture the ones I use is the small round bubble on the left. To trout they're just a bubble in the water and on retrieve on numerous occasions iv had a fish hit the bubble. The red and white for trout are toys. No offence. I fill the float so that just roughly 1/3 of it is visible. That way it takes very little force by a strike or take for it to go under, minimal resistance. Doesn't put the fish off one bit.
images (32).jpg
images (32).jpg (2.54 KiB) Viewed 1571 times

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:18 am

I love my old school cork floats for gars, mullets and bay trouts.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:46 am

Lightningx wrote:I love my old school cork floats for gars, mullets and bay trouts.
Some of the Ol Boys, that pass their time on the Jetties, have an assortment of home made floats , , , , and they love cork , , , , or maybe they love collecting them by emptying the bottles

:cheers:

There's one Ol Timer on Glenelg Jetty who makes these peculiar running floats with berley capability , , , , they work like crazy , , , , outcatches everyone

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:04 pm

These are the best floats i have found for easy on/off usage.

The bottom has a bit of silicone tubing that you roll up to find a small cut out to thread your line through (then you roll the silicone back over it).

Only ever seen them in USA, when i was last there i bought 2 to try out and wish i bought more - they are quite pricey to get over here. Surecatch do a similar float with a spring instead of silicone (seen them at bcf), but its really poor quality compared to these thill floats.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:15 pm

mate ditch the red and white floats and grab some waggler floats goggle course angling grad some drennan float stop you will catch more fish with these because bite detection is easier to see

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:18 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Lightningx wrote:I love my old school cork floats for gars, mullets and bay trouts.
Some of the Ol Boys, that pass their time on the Jetties, have an assortment of home made floats , , , , and they love cork , , , , or maybe they love collecting them by emptying the bottles

:cheers:

There's one Ol Timer on Glenelg Jetty who makes these peculiar running floats with berley capability , , , , they work like crazy , , , , outcatches everyone
Those ol timers definitely know a thing or 2.
There is one at a local pier of mine who makes his own. Unusual invention but works very very well!
If the gars are around he will be the first to catch :)

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:05 pm

Not much chop most floats for sale
Made this guy from a Turnip float from Big W.put a bamboo knitting needle thru middle and use O rings so line can move up and down
This guy is for Squid
This guy is called a Prawning Float from Ireland-Use this guy for Gar Fushin

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”