Mesh carry bags for collecting Cockles (Pipi)

Bugatti

Mesh carry bags for collecting Cockles (Pipi)

Post by Bugatti » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:28 am

Hi everyone, just a very simple to make, over the shoulder carry mesh bag for collecting Pipi (Cockles), or for anything for that matter. My kids have one each and use them for many reasons, collecting shells & rocks on a beach walk, shallow reef foraging, anything really.
cockle 1p.jpg

It is going to be a "follow the photos" instructional post, as they are pretty simple to make.

These are the things you are going to need. The mesh bag can be of any type. I used a Scaling Bag and carefully snipped it in half. The open ended one, I simply stitched/looped the bottom opening closed.
cockle 2p.jpg

The rope (made into a loop) needs to be of a firm type to be able to hold a loop shape.
cockle 3p.jpg

Heat to melt both ends simultaneously, so that they can both be joined together. Hold the two ends of the rope together till the melted plastic is cool. (yes, you can blow on the joint to cool it faster, or you can try to work out how to scratch your now itchy nose, while both of your hands are busy)
cockle 4p.jpg

Heat to melt the burr to flatten it out, using the flat of a knife blade to flatten the melted burr. Do this in small sections so as not to over heat the join.
cockle 5p.jpg
cockle 6p.jpg
cockle 7p.jpg

Then with the string, loop stitch the mesh bag to the rope loop.
Connect the strap by passing it through the mesh and around the rope loop and stitching the end of the strap back on itself.
cockle 1p-1.jpg

And Presto , , , , you have a shoulder carry Mesh Bag.
cockle 1p.jpg

"Today, the , , , , Over the Shoulder Mesh Bag is being modelled by Piglet. The bag is from the "Bugatti Range" and is in Green & Golden Yellow, in true Aussie style, with the additional ocean feel of the Green being Kelp Green. The Shoulder strap, is in one of our more daring colours of "New Season Pink"
cockle 8p.jpg

Thanks guys, hope it has been informative.

Cheers, Bugatti.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: Mesh carry bags for collecting Cockles (Pipi)

Post by Kimtown » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:58 am

Nice guide mate!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:02 pm

Nice mate, great idea. Do you still get plenty of cockles down at Goolwa beach? I used to go down there with the old man when I was a kid and used to get plenty and big ones too :P

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:37 pm

Great idea! Love the piglet.
Thinking to go to venus bay ans collect some pipi for bait. I think I'll make one.
Thanks!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:54 pm

Great idea mate

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:28 pm

nice but piglet needs more training to collect pipi maybe winnie the pooh can help once he collects enough honey

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:29 pm

Kimtown wrote:Nice guide mate!
Thanks Kimtown, photos do say it better don't they.
smile0784 wrote:Great idea mate
Thanks, smile. I'd love to take credit but I just copied what I've seen divers use for abs and scallops. I just put a Bugatti twist to it.
Seb85 wrote:Great idea! Love the piglet.
Thinking to go to venus bay ans collect some pipi for bait. I think I'll make one.
Thanks!
They work a treat and you'd get a lot of looks and questions about where you got it , , , , just smile and wave :thumbsup:
dazz999 wrote:nice, but piglet needs more training to collect pipi maybe winnie the pooh can help once he collects enough honey
Great idea, but my first choice would be Tigga. I mean, he is the dude
tigga.jpg
Lightningx wrote:Nice mate, great idea. Do you still get plenty of cockles down at Goolwa beach? I used to go down there with the old man when I was a kid and used to get plenty and big ones too :P
Yeah, heaps down here most years. Only thing is the bag is now 300, so need a car load to share the expenses. But we go mainly for a great day out, which it is , , , , oh, and alternate with a BBQ one trip and Fish & Chips the next trip.

Thanks
Cheers, guys

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”