Polarised glasses...need for prescription?

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Polarised glasses...need for prescription?

Post by April Fool » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:13 pm

Hi Peeples
Some time over the next couple months I am going to move on from my spotter glasses. Purchased from a tackle store, they were not the best fitting although not really uncomfortable, I thought they will do and they served their purpose. My yearly eye tests have revealed that I now need reading glasses. I have also spoke to the optometrist/sales person regarding getting some polarised glasses. They mentioned that they have the script for me whenever I decide to do it. This may have been said by sales person rather than optometrist.

My question...if I only need glasses to read, do I really need polarised sunnies to be made with the same script that the reading glasses will be cos that is what I am assuming is going to happen! Then I wonder if they will change my vision at a distance making things look closer and I will be hurling lures across the channel into the fkn canola field! I will speak to the optometrist about this but just want a bit of an idea. Although I don't think they will try and rip me off by selling me more than I need.
cheers
Team Bender
Should have went to Specsavers!

Ekaz3556

Re: Polarised glasses...need for prescription?

Post by Ekaz3556 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:37 pm

Hey mate
I assume if you only need glasses for reading you won’t need prescription spotters as the only time you will need them is when riding lures and knots. Get your optometrist to confirm everything though mate

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:39 pm

Hi Aprilnofool

My Ex has prescription glasses and gets her one "free" glasses per year through her (ours previously) health insurance. Depending on how her glasses are tracking, she either gets normal seeing glasses or her prescription sunglasses (pays the difference for polarised). Her prescription is for looking at distance, not "reading glasses". I were reading glasses and hers for distance, when I wear them, makes things really blury for me.

When I wear my reading glasses, images further than a meter or two away are blury, polarising reading glasses would just make these blury images not glarey but still blury.

I'd say, just get normal Sunglasses. Polarised reading glasses would only work as far as normal reading glasses would work. Great for reading in the sun but not looking far.

And trying to notice that following squid from the depths or that spinner coming towards you and any follow-ons , , , , normal reading glasses don't work for that, so if they were polarised , , , , they still won't work.

I'm the same. I wear normal Polarised Sunnies that aren't prescription made. But reading glasses when I am tying hooks.

Cheers, Bug

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:42 pm

Ekaz3556 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:37 pm
Get your optometrist to confirm everything though mate
Yeah, that too. Not a selling technique, but he/she probably hasn't explained that they would only work as far as normal reading glasses would work AND not for distance.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:56 pm

If your long distance vision is good (lucky you, mine is crap) then you won't need prescription polaroids. If you want to spend quite a bit of money they can graduate them, so when you look through the top you look long distance, through normal lens, and when you look down you have the reading prescription. This would seem a lot of bother though if you only need glasses for reading.

I have graduated lens that suit my script for long distance but when I look down they are my reading glasses script. also have them with the lenses that go dark in the sunlight and clear in the shade. The optometrist kindly relieved me the best part of $700 for each pair. I have to have two pairs to meet my commercial licence conditions.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:11 pm

OK, how it works is they combine the prescription lense down low, with normal above.
Same as combining someone with a distance issue. I struggled for years, swapping out my sunnies when I had to change a hook etc.
Then, I was told they can do split lenses. You always look up for distance, then when close up look down.
Best bit of kit I got in a long while, it is perfectly clear to look through.
Listen to them at the shop. it will be the best thing you ever do if you struggle to see up close,
no need to take them off and grab your readers again......
Just as a point, they have been doing this with lenses for 40 plus years.

Col

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:21 pm

My long vision is good but reading my eyes are shitehouse I use mako polaroids and have a lanyard on it then carry reading glasses in my pocket/backpack or dash of boat.

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:35 pm

Go to this guy and get an op -Never need prescription glasses again
https://www.drstubbs.com.au/

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:54 pm

denis barden wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:35 pm
Go to this guy and get an op -Never need prescription glasses again
https://www.drstubbs.com.au/

Personal recommendation?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:09 pm

How much did your prescription change by Jim.
If it's just one point then you will not need them.
I've been using my prescription sunnies from.6 years ago and it was fine. My prescription changed 2 points since then.
I have just got new ones yesterday.

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”