Rubber mesh landing net for kayak and landbased

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: Rubber mesh landing net for kayak and landbased

Post by Sebb » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:43 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:20 pm
what i am using now is this, with a different handle that can be adjusted, the actual net in the pic doesnt have a retractable handle as stated.
i retrofitted an older handle i had lying around from a net i dont use anymore

https://www.anacondastores.com/fishing/ ... BP90109303

the mesh net on both these nets i have posted are almost 99% identical
I saw that too, and yeah the handle is as short as my berkley kayak net.
Replacing it with longer handle is a good idea, but I dont have any spare handle or aluminium pipe around.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:55 pm

The foam part of the handle should come out with some brute force, then it's a matter of matching up the diameter with some nice aluminium pipe (broom.or mop handle will work I'm.sure) and your done. Handle is held in by screws I believe so no need for gaffer tape.

Yes black magic is the same net.

Silstar also do a similar one that's available in compleat angler

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:06 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:55 pm
The foam part of the handle should come out with some brute force, then it's a matter of matching up the diameter with some nice aluminium pipe (broom.or mop handle will work I'm.sure) and your done. Handle is held in by screws I believe so no need for gaffer tape.

Yes black magic is the same net.

Silstar also do a similar one that's available in compleat angler
Darn, so i will have a long handle net and my mrs gonna have to buy a new broom. :-D

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:06 pm

Mine is a cut down catch and release net from berkley, had the kayak net and found the same issues you did and after a fairly extensive search that what I wanted wasn't directly available off the shelf, may be some new products now but I haven't come across any.

If you keep the kayak net it is perfect for trout streams or anywhere you feel you don't need the head size of the catch and release net but with a quick release clip and a bit of bungee cord you can set up a great system for running the catch and release net in places where you need a bigger net.

I've had mine since 2015 and have absolutely abused it bashing through scrub landbased, used it as a one handed paddle/push off stick on the kayak and landed some reasonably large fish with it and it's still going strong.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:34 am

I use the Berkley kayak net and have no problem netting fish but I have long arms. May help.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:39 am

mazman wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:06 pm
Mine is a cut down catch and release net from berkley, had the kayak net and found the same issues you did and after a fairly extensive search that what I wanted wasn't directly available off the shelf, may be some new products now but I haven't come across any.

If you keep the kayak net it is perfect for trout streams or anywhere you feel you don't need the head size of the catch and release net but with a quick release clip and a bit of bungee cord you can set up a great system for running the catch and release net in places where you need a bigger net.

I've had mine since 2015 and have absolutely abused it bashing through scrub landbased, used it as a one handed paddle/push off stick on the kayak and landed some reasonably large fish with it and it's still going strong.
The catch and release is $64.95 at motackle and the extended kayak net is $49.95, but looks like the catch and release has bigger head and deeper mesh. How long did you cut the handle? How long is it now?

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:41 am

rb85 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:34 am
I use the Berkley kayak net and have no problem netting fish but I have long arms. May help.
My arm is nowhere near 5ft or 6ft :rofl: and dont really want to bend graphite rods too much to get the fish closer.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:11 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:41 am
rb85 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:34 am
My arm is nowhere near 5ft or 6ft :rofl: and dont really want to bend graphite rods too much to get the fish closer.
It’s how you do it never traced a fish before?

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:58 pm

I had the small black rubber messed net for trout fishing, it was fine when using the blade spinners but total mess when netting a trout... so went for the larger clear soft deep net.. still gets the treble of a hard body lure tangled but nowhere as bad as the small mesh net.. still the trebles are size 6 on many of the lures which is still small.. I doubt there would be all that many nets around that won't eventually have a lure get tangled in it every so often.. Thankfully I don't have your problem of having to land a large fish in a kayak.. :fish22:
would be nice if the fish just stayed still until the hooks were removed, then I suppose I'd go ballistic too with a set of trebles stuck in my gob.. :-D :-D

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Paul Foot

Post by Paul Foot » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:35 pm

I use the retractable handle large snapper net. I have the kayak net but it's too small and awkward to put anywhere on the Yak. The large one just goes in a moulded in rod holder behind me and is much easier to get fish into.

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”