sharpening fishing knives

rixter

Re: sharpening fishing knives

Post by rixter » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:32 pm

Each to their own ;) , although I should of been a bit more precise on the kind/grade of white oil if using the blade on food / and not just bait , you can use 'Marcol 152' whiteoil ( made by Mobil / food grade safe ) .

As mentioned by others above as well though , I wouldn't use oil on a diamond stone, it will just clog it up. Oil I only use on the cheaper sand/rock stones.

As with the butchering, my mate does go through a knife a week . He is constantly sharpening every few cuts, although a knife that looks and feels fine to me and hardly used , is no good to him though as the knife apparently becomes unbalanced after sharpening the blade constantly / too much metal removed, which leads to him accidently stabbing himself when working fast.
He never uses any stones , just the iron sharpening bar.
Just how it was explained to me , and I don't mind as I get knifes that are like new still given to me for free. :-D

Cheers , Rick.
Last edited by rixter on Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

andyk

Post by andyk » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:16 pm

Thoes boners / butchers can b a fussy bunch when it comes to there knives !!!

hangsta*

Post by hangsta* » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:23 pm

20140301_174648.jpg
if you not to fussy about ur knife get a swissistor sharpener fastest sharpener ive used. it shaves off the dull knife edge very quick and then finish with the diamond stone.but i use a stone on my realy good fillet knife

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:12 pm

I just use the $2 carborundum sharpening stone. Cheap and takes ages to wear out.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”