Hitting a Mako off Lakes Entrance...

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Hitting a Mako off Lakes Entrance...

Post by Nude up » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:58 pm

Nice work re-tyred its is a fair run in the tinny nice picture

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:16 pm

re-tyred wrote:I went to the pipeline on Saturday. Calmest day I have seen for quite sometime. Didn't do anything spectacular. 4 flathead 1 at 52cm. 1 pinky 30cm. 1 Large blue leather jacket. Plus a few mackerel I kept for bait. I did notice a few boats had gummies back at the ramp. Didn't see any myself. I suspect they would have been close in at daylight.
It was a top day to be out there. Quite some distance to go in the tinny too.
The conditions look perfect :)

chris srsc

Post by chris srsc » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:20 pm

re-tyred wrote:I went to the pipeline on Saturday. Calmest day I have seen for quite sometime. Didn't do anything spectacular. 4 flathead 1 at 52cm. 1 pinky 30cm. 1 Large blue leather jacket. Plus a few mackerel I kept for bait. I did notice a few boats had gummies back at the ramp. Didn't see any myself. I suspect they would have been close in at daylight.
holidayed in lakes for for 43 years (every year since born)..been brought up to fear the bar, always told most dangerous place on the water, funny how my old mans fear was put in to us too..
been out 3 times, never in my own boat.

i look at your tinny and think man, thats awsome..
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:36 am

chris seafarer wrote:
holidayed in lakes for for 43 years (every year since born)..been brought up to fear the bar, always told most dangerous place on the water, funny how my old mans fear was put in to us too..

Yeah Chris, a very healthy respect of the bar will keep you alive. I have lived in Lakes and worked on boats most of my adult life. I'm 62. I currently am part of the hydro survey team that surveys the bar and Gippsland lakes. So I know it very well. There are days you could go out on a row boat and days you would be in trouble on a 30mtr vessels. It is a matter of knowing which days. Even a 6-7mtr rec boat with all the mod cons needs to be very careful to pick the right conditions. The weather needs to be calm , less than 15knts, the current in the entrance need to be flooding, running in, when you cross the bar. These conditions need to be the same for both going out and coming in, so knowing weather and tide is of utmost importance. The most important thing is the swell. You need to monitor the Gippsland ports wave rider bouy. Don't even think about it unless the swell is less than 1.7mtr peak. I don't go if it is more than 1.5mtr. You also need to be aware of how the bar is shoaling , again Gippsland ports posts a monthly bar survey in their bathymetric survey section. Doing the bar crossing course at seamec will be the best $200 you can spend if you are serious about going offshore.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

chris srsc

Post by chris srsc » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:16 pm

re-tyred wrote:
chris seafarer wrote:

Yeah Chris, a very healthy respect of the bar will keep you alive. I have lived in Lakes and worked on boats most of my adult life. I'm 62. I currently am part of the hydro survey team that surveys the bar and Gippsland lakes. So I know it very well. There are days you could go out on a row boat and days you would be in trouble on a 30mtr vessels. It is a matter of knowing which days. Even a 6-7mtr rec boat with all the mod cons needs to be very careful to pick the right conditions. The weather needs to be calm , less than 15knts, the current in the entrance need to be flooding, running in, when you cross the bar. These conditions need to be the same for both going out and coming in, so knowing weather and tide is of utmost importance. The most important thing is the swell. You need to monitor the Gippsland ports wave rider bouy. Don't even think about it unless the swell is less than 1.7mtr peak. I don't go if it is more than 1.5mtr. You also need to be aware of how the bar is shoaling , again Gippsland ports posts a monthly bar survey in their bathymetric survey section. Doing the bar crossing course at seamec will be the best $200 you can spend if you are serious about going offshore.
Thanks for the info...i do want to go offshore oneday...will look into the course..

Fresh (0cm) 

chris srsc

Post by chris srsc » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:42 pm

Applied to do course... friday 6th of may..if i get in ill stay for the weekend..catch up for a fish if your around that weekend..

Fresh (0cm) 

Return to “Shark Fishing”