Mako Tactics

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Mako Tactics

Post by Nude up » Sun May 07, 2017 3:01 am

we use a plastic bottle with a small hole in it filled with tuna oil tied to a rope hanging off the back of the boat to keep a good surface slick going

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:56 pm

Thanks for the good advice.
Went after and caught our 1st shark outside Port Phillip Heads 2 months ago. Went out about 10 kms and noticed birds in the water - headed over and noted a shark moving around in the vicinity. There were floating guts, liver and fat in the water that the birds were feeding on. This appeared to be from another shark someone had caught earlier. The shark came to our boat and we threw out a fresh squid head attached to a hook on steel trace and a balloon. The shark went to it and ignored it and swam away. We followed it and tried again - same thing. It swam back to the floating mess. We went to the floating mess and this time we swapped the squid head with a piece of tuna belly that I had frozen from the previous years tuna trip. The shark went up to it and instantly took the bait. I nudged the boat into gear and took off to set the hook - smack!! We were on. No monster - about 50+ kg. But a nice 1st effort.
We had 6 burley bombs we were going to use for a burley trail. Now we have saved that for another trip. Good advice - will try all the above - including a tuna soaked rag, tuna head and frame and whatever else is useful in those fish cleaning bins.

Joe

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:07 pm

Nude up wrote:we use a plastic bottle with a small hole in it filled with tuna oil tied to a rope hanging off the back of the boat to keep a good surface slick going
That sounds like an awesome idea.

Joe

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Fri May 12, 2017 1:58 am

SBT frames clip the tail onto a reel lanyard and hand over the side works great.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri May 12, 2017 6:16 am

frozenpod wrote:SBT frames clip the tail onto a reel lanyard and hand over the side works great.
When we caught the SBT, we bleed them in the big esky and then tipped the water out and pumped it out using the bilge pump, I saw all this bloody water and thought to myself that this would be great for attracting mako sharks. So I am making up some wire traces to put in the boat, should the occasion arise again.

I like the idea of getting the SBT frames from the waste bin, and then using them.

Apples

Post by Apples » Fri May 12, 2017 6:42 am

Hi mate I used the burly bombs cubed fish with tuna oil. Had a squid under a balloon. That's how we got ours.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:09 am

Do people still get sharks this time of year near ppb or wp?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri May 12, 2017 7:19 am

smile0784 wrote:Do people still get sharks this time of year near ppb or wp?
I would like to know this too. I assume the bronzies flee to warmer water but it would be interesting to know if makos are still hanging around.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:05 pm

Just bumping this thread up seeing as though its coming up to that time..

These are a few videos from Adventure Bound detailing how to target mako sharks which helped me when i was just starting out shark fishing.

Catching Makos: Part 1 https://youtu.be/MeRdHRHsvcM

Catching Makos: Part 2 https://youtu.be/jQq-e8QsL_o

Catching Makos: Part 3 https://youtu.be/H7cxDDuToUs

Happy Hunting!

Anth

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:48 am

Blueyed1 wrote:Thanks for the good advice.
Went after and caught our 1st shark outside Port Phillip Heads 2 months ago. Went out about 10 kms and noticed birds in the water - headed over and noted a shark moving around in the vicinity. There were floating guts, liver and fat in the water that the birds were feeding on. This appeared to be from another shark someone had caught earlier. The shark came to our boat and we threw out a fresh squid head attached to a hook on steel trace and a balloon. The shark went to it and ignored it and swam away. We followed it and tried again - same thing. It swam back to the floating mess. We went to the floating mess and this time we swapped the squid head with a piece of tuna belly that I had frozen from the previous years tuna trip. The shark went up to it and instantly took the bait. I nudged the boat into gear and took off to set the hook - smack!! We were on. No monster - about 50+ kg. But a nice 1st effort.
We had 6 burley bombs we were going to use for a burley trail. Now we have saved that for another trip. Good advice - will try all the above - including a tuna soaked rag, tuna head and frame and whatever else is useful in those fish cleaning bins.

Joe

Well done

Return to “Shark Fishing”