To Burley Or Not To Burley

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
azkay

Re: To Burley Or Not To Burley

Post by azkay » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:16 am

I agree with above, i only bring out the burley if its becoming a really quiet night. I personally like to target them around the Full Moon. When i first started researching the species a lot of the literature recommended either side of a full moon on big tidal changes. It's worked for me so far. I usually have 4 rods out the back with a variety of baits, unweighted. The last one was about 1.5m and took one of those fresh big pilchards on a double hook, unweighted, 1m leader length on the last moon cycle.

If your targeting them in PPB i was seeing quite a few of the smaller ones at about 15m depth out from Sandringham about 2-3 weeks ago, had a big run at about 4am, managed to catch a glimpse of a large white underside but pulled hook about 7-8mins in. I almost exclusively fish for them at night, simply because that's when I've seen them the most, this may differ for other fishos.

Good luck!
Az.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:05 pm

purple5ive wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
MsShimano wrote:
i do see a pattern emerging lollllll
Not you steve. Ben lol
yes i know its not me caue ive never fished gummies with you, was just pulling your legs. aka pattern emerging (getting your a$$ handed to you by mates hahaha)

in regards to burley i would personally only do it if i havent got any bites in a while, at thats stage any bycatch is most likely a good thing for me anyway :rofl:
Comps on then
Ill show you how to fish lol :super:

looser pays for petrol lol

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:14 pm

Learn about the species.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:19 pm

Screenshot_2017-06-08-15-17-28.png
j

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:37 pm

smile0784 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
Not you steve. Ben lol
yes i know its not me caue ive never fished gummies with you, was just pulling your legs. aka pattern emerging (getting your a$$ handed to you by mates hahaha)

in regards to burley i would personally only do it if i havent got any bites in a while, at thats stage any bycatch is most likely a good thing for me anyway :rofl:
Comps on then

yep your on, lures only though :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: anyone can catch fish on bait

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:44 pm

rb85 wrote:Learn about the species.
You keep suggesting to "learn about the species" I have learn't about gummy sharks, attended talks, watched pros etc.. but as you are well aware, there is more then one way to skin a cat.
I am merely asking for advice and seeing ways on how other people fish for this species. I dont understand how your comment is meant too help?
Of course I talk to my self while fishing.. sometimes I need expert advice! :fishing:

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:51 pm

bowl wrote:
Screenshot_2017-06-08-15-17-28.png
j
Thanks bowl for this helpful information. Appreciate it.
Of course I talk to my self while fishing.. sometimes I need expert advice! :fishing:

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:53 pm

azkay wrote:I agree with above, i only bring out the burley if its becoming a really quiet night. I personally like to target them around the Full Moon. When i first started researching the species a lot of the literature recommended either side of a full moon on big tidal changes. It's worked for me so far. I usually have 4 rods out the back with a variety of baits, unweighted. The last one was about 1.5m and took one of those fresh big pilchards on a double hook, unweighted, 1m leader length on the last moon cycle.

If your targeting them in PPB i was seeing quite a few of the smaller ones at about 15m depth out from Sandringham about 2-3 weeks ago, had a big run at about 4am, managed to catch a glimpse of a large white underside but pulled hook about 7-8mins in. I almost exclusively fish for them at night, simply because that's when I've seen them the most, this may differ for other fishos.

Good luck!
Thanks buddy. I appreciate your information! I'll give it a go and let you know :)

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:59 pm

purple5ive wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
Not you steve. Ben lol

Comps on then

yep your on, lures only though :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: anyone can catch fish on bait
You fish your way. Ill fish my way lol

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:07 pm

rb85 wrote:Learn about the species.
Asking questions isn't a feasible/appropriate way to learn?

Return to “Shark Fishing”