Slide Baiting for Bronzies

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Re: Slide Baiting for Bronzies

Post by smokin_reels » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:31 pm

Basti wrote:if you're coming past mine, grab my vac sealer if you need

cheers bro. will drop some squid off :thumbsup:
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:46 pm

smokin_reels wrote:
rb85 wrote:There’s a lot of scad and slimies in western port been getting them when chasing whiting if you can get those vac sealed you will have good bait

Thanks RB, Im gonna do some bait collection this weekend.
:thumbsup:
No drama mate if you don’t get any let me know I may be able to help

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:49 pm

rb85 wrote:
smokin_reels wrote:
rb85 wrote:There’s a lot of scad and slimies in western port been getting them when chasing whiting if you can get those vac sealed you will have good bait

Thanks RB, Im gonna do some bait collection this weekend.
:thumbsup:
No drama mate if you don’t get any let me know I may be able to help

Very generous. thank you!
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Johand

Post by Johand » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:03 pm

Now and then on gumtree a rod from africa is for sale ,I well keep a eye out for you.
My rods were all custom rods for sliders and mullaway.
Do you use overhead reels.
Be careful with gear to light,as the fight may be to long, you and the shark will get tired.
Seen many sharks that cannot recover.
I am in bayside if you need a 5 minute how to I could gladly give you a rundown.
Sliders you can make.
Cheers

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:08 pm

Johand wrote:Now and then on gumtree a rod from africa is for sale ,I well keep a eye out for you.
Be careful with gear to light,as the fight may be to long, you and the shark will get tired.
I am in bayside if you need a 5 minute how to I could gladly give you a rundown.
Sliders you can make.
Cheers
i can cast with an overhead , definetly need practice and there is a lot of room to improve. Hopefully get it in soon enough (if i do hook up).
Will let you know when im back, gladly use a lesson. thanks!

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:34 pm

What is the purpose behind a sliding bait rig? Seems like it would be super hard to cast...?

Johand

Post by Johand » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:19 pm

The sliders get used to get a big bait eg 1 kg You could never cast that weight out behind the surf line.
Take a surf rod you normally use put the sinker on and cast that,easy normal cast.
Once thats done now you attach your slider with a big bait eg a 2 kg live tailor
Place the live bait in the water and the bait swims towards your sinker.

This is often used in South Africa to catch mullaway

If its a dead bait eg kingfish head not a live bait ,now you must shake the rod,not as bad as if you are squiding but strike strike or shake shake for about 10 minutes to get that dead bait sliding up to the sinker.Its a lot of work and you will look like a clown :o_0: shaking a 14 ft rod on the beach but great rewards.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:22 pm

Johand wrote:Now and then on gumtree a rod from africa is for sale ,I well keep a eye out for you.
Sliders you can make.
Cheers
How.is a slider rod different?

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:32 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Sliders you can make.
Cheers
How.is a slider rod different?
Usually 14-15 long , casting weights between 8-10oz , with stiffer tips . The South African ones have a lower mount point for the reel , allowing for better casting dynamics. I am sure Jeremy or one of the other pro distance casters may have more knowledge about this. I’m just a book worm.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:53 pm

Johand wrote:The sliders get used to get a big bait eg 1 kg You could never cast that weight out behind the surf line.
Take a surf rod you normally use put the sinker on and cast that,easy normal cast.
Once thats done now you attach your slider with a big bait eg a 2 kg live tailor
Place the live bait in the water and the bait swims towards your sinker.

This is often used in South Africa to catch mullaway

If its a dead bait eg kingfish head not a live bait ,now you must shake the rod,not as bad as if you are squiding but strike strike or shake shake for about 10 minutes to get that dead bait sliding up to the sinker.Its a lot of work and you will look like a clown :o_0: shaking a 14 ft rod on the beach but great rewards.
i like to learn different style,s can you give us the spec,s of the rod you use Thank,s

Return to “Shark Fishing”