Catching Sharks Landbased

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: Catching Sharks Landbased

Post by frozenpod » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:55 am

Sounds like I might have to given them a go.

Mark1981

Post by Mark1981 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:46 pm

Has anyone tried carp on Gummies? If so, with any success?? Cos they are so oily I thought they may make a good bait... I am on the verge of getting desperate haha 3 years of chasing Gummies with 0 success..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slinga

Post by slinga » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:01 am

Mark1981 wrote:Has anyone tried carp on Gummies? If so, with any success?? Cos they are so oily I thought they may make a good bait... I am on the verge of getting desperate haha 3 years of chasing Gummies with 0 success..

Never heard of them being used for bait.

Keep your baits fresh, fish the colder nights from now until July, generally produces smaller Gummies.
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

Daisysky

Post by Daisysky » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:54 am

For me catching sharks are not so easy. It could be dangerous. I'd better give up..Seems guys are brave enough.

Lecterfan

Post by Lecterfan » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:52 pm

Re: the feeding 'zones' (bear in mind I'm still talking land based here)…this is only anecdotal, my personal experiences, but I've caught a number of whaler species (only bronzies in Vic, others in other states) from baits on the bottom, and I've caught 7gills under a float only 1.5m from the surface in much deeper (>5m) water (as well as on the bottom), hooked (not landed) tigers under balloons, from the bottom, whatever (only WA).

I reckon bait is more important in many ways. That and putting in the hours and learning from mistakes. Doing it all land based is hard yakka, but great fun, and very rewarding when things go right. I think land based also comes with a number of ethical considerations to do with the location as well as the process of hooking/landing and returning/efficient killing (whichever you are doing) that many boat fishos don't need to face; or at least not in the same way.

I'm no gummy expert, but I've picked up a few good gummies and a few 3kg+ reds off the beach by actually attaching a cork (or half cork, you need to test the appropriate float size) close to the bait…I use enough for it to get off the bottom and drift about in the surf without it being so buoyant that it just floats straight up or whatever. This method has, in the past, avoided unnecessary hooking and gaffing of unwanted flat species while not seeming to affect my catch rates of the targets.

Just a couple of thoughts…Cheers. :cheers:

edit: I'd be keen to try carp as a bait, eel works really well, the theory is sound, but it takes someone the time and effort to do it constantly over a period of time to see what the rates are like. I gave up on eel ONLY for the reason that I got sick of catching and preparing the horrible buggers when I was getting heaps better hits on even mullet, garfish, whatever.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:12 pm

very good read there!

interesting

bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Winston

Post by Winston » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:21 pm

frozenpod wrote:
Cretts wrote:
frozenpod wrote:Not sure what you guys are doing but I've been bitten off once in the last 10 years or so.

For the last few years or we have been using 30lb braid backing with 30-40lb tough mono or fluro leader for gummies but I would have easily caught in excess of 100 gummies using 20lb mono. Landed the odd toothy in that time with mono as well.
OK, 20lb leader and no toothies on the bottom....enough said
Yeah I know the people I fish with give me flack for fishing too heavy as they use 15lb.

They fish for gummies landbased with 15lb mono? How do they even manage to get the bait out without busting off during the cast?

Winston

Post by Winston » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:28 pm

Mark1981 wrote:Has anyone tried carp on Gummies? If so, with any success?? Cos they are so oily I thought they may make a good bait... I am on the verge of getting desperate haha 3 years of chasing Gummies with 0 success..

Carp has been used by a lot of people with success to catch shark, but it wont make the difference if you arent already catching them, honestly speaking, if you havent caught one in three years you need to find some better fishing grounds, even servo pillies catch gummies when theyre around

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:19 pm

Winston wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
Cretts wrote:
frozenpod wrote:Not sure what you guys are doing but I've been bitten off once in the last 10 years or so.

For the last few years or we have been using 30lb braid backing with 30-40lb tough mono or fluro leader for gummies but I would have easily caught in excess of 100 gummies using 20lb mono. Landed the odd toothy in that time with mono as well.
OK, 20lb leader and no toothies on the bottom....enough said
Yeah I know the people I fish with give me flack for fishing too heavy as they use 15lb.

They fish for gummies landbased with 15lb mono? How do they even manage to get the bait out without busting off during the cast?
Boat based and when fishing from land using ballons to float the bait out.

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:21 pm

Winston wrote:

Carp has been used by a lot of people with success to catch shark, but it wont make the difference if you arent already catching them, honestly speaking, if you havent caught one in three years you need to find some better fishing grounds, even servo pillies catch gummies when theyre around
Agreed, 3 years and you haven't caught one then you are doing something majorly wrong.

I have missed out on a gummy once in the last 25-30 trips.

Return to “Shark Fishing”