Catching Sharks Landbased

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
adsukir34

Re: Catching Sharks Landbased

Post by adsukir34 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:52 pm

Great list slinga but.........you left out your super secret guaranteed gummy spot! LoooooL ;)

slinga

Post by slinga » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:54 pm

adsukir34 wrote:Great list slinga but.........you left out your super secret guaranteed gummy spot! LoooooL ;)

Even I miss in my spots too champ :thumbsup:
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:03 am

Longshot wrote:Excellent post, can you sticky it somewhere? Completely over every 3rd post being
"Where can I catch a LandBased Shark"
Nothing beats the experience of going out and doing it on your own. There is no
"Go here and Cast there = Shark"
I tried for over a Year in WP and Gippsland before breaking the duck at Venus Bay, Low tide,Middle of the afternoon when I least expected it.

My break was at Venus bay as well, arrived in time for the evening high tide, caught some salmon, turned them into bait and caught one gummy.

It was a long walk back to the car.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:07 am

Krisstiglic wrote:Sometimes people ask questions for a bit of info.

Sometimes people are not going to answer your questions, and then it is time to actually gain your own knowledge from your own learning experiences.

Krisstiglic

Post by Krisstiglic » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:36 am

How are you supposed to know if someone isn't gunna answer your questions

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:31 am

Krisstiglic wrote:How are you supposed to know if someone isn't gunna answer your questions

What was that?

Cretts

Post by Cretts » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:11 am

good one, who is 'the guru'?

people seem to miss that a gummy shark is still down a few rungs on the food chain and the same prinicples about fish apply, in that they need security in the form of cover to come out and feed, even at night. however when they get larger it doesnt apply so much.

my 2 cents:

- dont use running sinkers, they effect your cast and a statoinary sinker actually helps your hookup using circles, a shark isnt going to pick up a bait and spit because he feels the weight of the sinker because at that stage he is hooked.

- ALWAYS use circles, make them 6/0-8/0 i like gama octo as well

- wind, very important, inside bays you want at least some form of stir in the water be it from tide, waves or wind, too clear and gummies dont want to know about it (they get eaten too)

- and bait, just buy fresh stuff from the market (i never use stuff from a packet), when a crab eating gummy sees a nice chuck of freshish fish flesh, he isnt turning back.

- dont worry too much about wire either, school sharks are very very uncommon land based in the melbourne, i think that this 'wire shy' business stems from the fact that there are none to catch rather than then being wire shy, in a 'school' environment, they wont care about wire...bronzies are much more prevelant and you will need wire to land them. i have caught and have seen plenty of gummies over 10kgs on wire caught before (especially when the water is a little stirred and i dont fish otherwise), like i said went a shark sees a nice bait, it gets eaten.

- new or half moon for mine, water clarity is much more important than anything though

- and the comment about your spots being close to some reef/ weed is a good one too, on strictly mud you get ttoom many fking stingrays/ skate/ garbage.

Longshot

Post by Longshot » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:17 am

Dont take it as a personal attack Kriss, you were just the unlucky one to ask the questions most recently. Blame the 50 blokes before you. As a General rule, most people are more than happy to help another Fisho out, (See Cretts post above) but it does become repetitive.

Cretts

Post by Cretts » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:30 am

if you wanna catch gummies...a lot of them....but not big...this is the best time to do it...another tip...

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:01 am

General information about gummy sharks.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=34&hilit=westernport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Shark Fishing”