Failed offshore fishing report

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
re-tyred
Has liked: 376 times

Re: Failed offshore fishing report

Post by re-tyred » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:43 pm

Well with the water temp the way it is I would expect tuna and marlin to be around a bit earlier this year. So feb would be a good time to get serious.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Sirblessed

Post by Sirblessed » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:35 pm

Went out through the Heads same day for sharks drifted between 50m-70m of water for one small school shark (Released) the swell got the better of us too after 3 hours.Only saw one other boat out there guese who??. It was an awesome day to be out on the water and we got squid for dinner also. Got a few trevally and mullet aswell.
Attachments
WP_20131230_007.jpg
WP_20131230_004.jpg
WP_20131230_021.jpg
WP_20131230_016.jpg
Good things come to those who wait!

aussie_fisho

Post by aussie_fisho » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:54 pm

Not to make you guys feel bad or anything but there was a 107kg mako caught by Brendan wing from youfish yesterday according to his post, a ripper of a mako for bass strait.
Attachments
image.jpg
Here fishy fishy.......

Sirblessed

Post by Sirblessed » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:05 pm

Yea heard about that, was a couple of others caught too
Good things come to those who wait!

rixter

Post by rixter » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:19 pm

Nude up wrote:Nothing worse than than getting all hyped up for a trip only to have the weather not play the game. Have towed the boat all the way to bermi only to sit in the pub for a week before. At least you got a feed of calamari. I have done 6 trips to westernport this season I found it slow for snapper they normally slam us but have been hard to find this year, we got lots of couta. I normally head out of the san remo entrance when chasing mako's around this time of the year now that the festive season is over, have you heard any reprts from that area.
:lol: sounds a lot like plenty of my old past trips to Bermagui. At least it's a good pub to kick back in and have a few drinks with all the other fellow fishermen in there.
WPB has been quiet for myself also this season for snapper, crossing my fingers a few might show up during the warm weather this month or February the latest.

Good report, shame about the weather, especially after taking hours to get to the spot. Better luck next time, at least you got a feed in the end :dinner: , looks yum.

Cheers, Rick
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:31 pm

Isn't it funny that its the swell that's gets people every time I have a mate in the bay any weather no problems but as soon as we get passed the heads he starts to turn green it can be glassy smooth but the slightest swell and he is berlying like mad.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:36 pm

Yeah it's weird. Been out in 6m seas off Portland without issue. But drifting in a swell has made me sick twice now. Next time kwells for sure.

Yeah I know of that fish and one from gawaine Blake of around 35kg. 107kg is a better then average fish but its hardly a big one. Don't doubt the fact that they grow to 250kg plus out there.

cameronpatrol

Post by cameronpatrol » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:28 pm

Great report pitty no toothies though.
There's no such thing as failure, only early attempts at success

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:26 pm

ducky wrote:.............Been out in 6m seas off Portland without issue. But drifting in a swell has made me sick twice now...........................................
What is the difference between a swell and 6m seas? I thought it was all just waves? Doesn't the term 'swell' refer to the height from the tip of the wave to the lowest point?
cheers
Land Lubber
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:33 pm

Waves are a result of the wind that is blowing right now.

Swell are background movements of the sea (waves) result of wind from potentially a long time and long distances away.

Waves are generally much sharper, closer together.

Return to “Shark Fishing”