game fishing knots

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: game fishing knots

Post by smile0784 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:37 pm

if my memory serves me correct
wasnt there a 120kg mako caught on 8kg line out of san remo a few months back
i think it gone for a record too, if i remember correct

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:48 pm

120kg on 8kg how long did that take he deserves a record

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:54 am

Nude up wrote:120kg on 8kg how long did that take he deserves a record

ill see if i can find the fishing report on that

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:16 am

i found it
my weight of the fish was off buy a bit but 92.4 kg on 8kg is still a great capture

FISHING REPORTS:
OFFSHORE:
Dave Fent from the Bass Strait Game Fishing Club sent us a text report that the offshore fishing season has begun for local anglers Tony, Dale and Paul. The boys were aboard “knotyet” out wide of Cape Woolamai last weekend when they hooked and landed a mako shark which went 92.4kg’s. Better yet, they caught it on 8kg line class, well done lads.

link
http://www.ifish.com.au/online/fishing- ... -december/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by smile0784 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:22 am

report from in new zealand

"I would say my best achievement with makos so far was when i weighed one in at 104.5 on 6kgs, that was real cool and later finding out i was 20kg or so off a record fish.
If i am going to target them this nationals i would only kill one if it was around 100-150kg and i would be using either 6-8kg line class. Any thing else will be tag and release.Cheers guys"

link http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.c ... 1390694511" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

complete-anglerz-12

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:25 am

ncr1 wrote:No wire trace??

I'm not a fan of wind-ons, so I use a long double tied with a plait and then tie on a quality ball-bearing snap swivel with a cats paw. Then it's an easy connect to a wire trace.
wire is the easy part i just want to use less knots so ill i get a good braid to mono knot then i can crimp the rest up cheers to the advice guys will try some of them knots and go for the one i think suits me best lol or what i can tie cheers
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:54 am

you could just do a loop in your braid about 2 meters long and then a spider hitch onto the snap and then add your wire trace

http://www.sportsfish.com.au/pages/fish ... knots.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

one advantage of having a wind on leader or a mono shock leader is that no one has said is that if you want to lift the shark in by the trace or control the fish by the boat by holding onto the mono but if you try do this with strait braid you will cut your hands to bits

ncr1

Post by ncr1 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:24 pm

Nude up wrote:Good reasons but we prefer the shorter leader so you have less line to trace once the wind on is on the reel it can't get caught on anything a 200kg plus marlin at the side of the boat that decides to give it one last effort the trace man can be confident when he lets go the trace will not get snagged.
I am keen to hear how you go on 8kg thats a good effort

Understand your worries about that, but any slack that if formed in the leader from the deckie pulling the fish closer should never enter the boat anyway. It should be 'drooped' outside the boat where it can't get caught on anything. And everything around the boat should be cleared before bringing a big fish boatside. Additionally, by the time you have a metre or two of slack line, the gaff or tag should already be in.

Fishing light line classes teaches you an awful lot about gamefishing and how to get the best out of your tackle. As long as you have confidence in your outfit, the line, and your knots, then you can really put some hurt on with 8kg line. I regularly go above 5kgs of drag using 8kg line, which if you think about it, is the same as someone who uses the 15kg line class but leaves it on the normal recommended drag setting (1 third of breaking strain). I also think that I can put more hurt on a fish than someone who uses a cheap 24kg outfit and hasn't replaced their line in a few years. With the right setup, I have locked up on 8kg and literally skull dragged 20kg tuna to the boat in less than 5 minutes.

So far my best is a 64kg thresher and a 34kg southern bluefin on 8kg line. Although a few years back I lost a 90kg+ thresher after having it boatside (poor gaff shot by someone who will remain nameless), only to loose it soon after from the mono loosing too much of its stretch from water drag. Lesson learnt, when using light line, do not drive along side a swimming shark with a belly of line dragging through the water column.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:20 pm

Great effort ncr1nice fish there.the guys I fish with are well disciplined when a fish is on clearing teasers and all the other rods to clear the decks and its hard to explain to someone water drag on mono till you see your line going into the water at the back of the boat then the marlin jumps 200mt out to the side of the boat very fast fish.
Not being a competitive type of person and only fish for fun not chasing records or points I admire the guys that get amazing captures on light lines but its not for me. 3 years ago I got a 215kg blue on 24kg momoi took 2 hours never went above strike drag still excites me when I pass it hanging in the lounge.

ncr1

Post by ncr1 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:17 pm

A 200 keg blue is a beautiful fish nudes, particularly on 24kg.

As for light tackle fishing, my major reason is the fun of the challenge and the memories that come from the successes. XOS fish on heavy tackle is hugely memorable, but those opportunities to catch these monsters doesn't come around all that often (if at all). But when you fish light tackle, the scope of 'trophy' fish is so much wider and I find you get many more truly memorable moments. For example, when I got my 34kg bluefin, it was a three way hookup on similar size fish. The other 2 guys were fishing 24kg line class and hauled there's in within 10 minutes, whereas I battled for over an hour to get mine in the boat. For me, the feeling of having won that battle with that fish was as good as it gets and I will remember that for the rest of my life. Compare that to the other two guys (both experienced tuna fishos), who have most likely forgotten that they also caught those fish alongside mine, just because they were using heavy tackle. And I have a list of captures (and lost battles) on modest-sized gamefish that I can vividly remember like it was yesterday.

But that's not to say that I don't use heavy tackle, and there are many situations where the light line gear stays in the cabin because the fish are going to be too big (e.g. blue marlin or barrel tuna) or because you simply just want to catch fish and don't won't to spend the time fighting them. And when I do finally hook up to an XOS 'something' (haven't yet), I have plenty of experience in interchanging between strike and sunset drag to advantage, planing fish downcurrent rather than upcurrent, minimising water drag on the line, ideal rod actions and fighting styles, and identifying small opportunities to trace the fish that could save a couple of hours fight time.

But I say definitely have a go if you get a chance nudes - it bloody good practice for when the 300kg blue comes along!

Return to “Shark Fishing”