Shimano Quickfire graphite rods 1/2 price

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Re: Shimano Quickfire graphite rods 1/2 price

Post by April Fool » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:21 pm

Seb, as mentioned, Al is sponsored by Savage Gear. People's opinions will always vary. If you check out the thread regarding Ugly Stik rods on sale at Anaconda a few months ago, a member replaced all his Savage Gear rods cos he said they were crap. Everyone will have a different opinion and perhaps the savage rods may not have been suited to what he wanted. For the money ($30), I don't think you can go wrong if you want to try one.
Cheers
Team Bender
Has no fear...of Savage Gear!!

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:35 pm

I recently picked up the discounted savage gear rod from bcf and i'm loving it so far, blows my old crappy rod out of the water. definitely worth it at 30 dollars but each to their own I guess, some people probably prefer differing qualities in their rods. only gripe I can think of is that when you're trying to pull it apart into two pieces it's pretty stubborn and requires a bit of force.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:48 pm

April Fool wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:21 pm
Seb, as mentioned, Al is sponsored by Savage Gear. People's opinions will always vary. If you check out the thread regarding Ugly Stik rods on sale at Anaconda a few months ago, a member replaced all his Savage Gear rods cos he said they were crap. Everyone will have a different opinion and perhaps the savage rods may not have been suited to what he wanted. For the money ($30), I don't think you can go wrong if you want to try one.
Cheers
Team Bender
Has no fear...of Savage Gear!!

Ugly sticks are glass rods. The savage gear ones are carbon/graphite. Big difference between the 2 . So their intended use will also vary.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:06 pm

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:42 pm

Thought savage gear were European - i havent googled but im thinking they are Finnish for some reason.... . They do put together great promo videos, and the guy always on them is euro. They seem to mostly be geared to target pike fishing, but a lot of those lures would translate to cod.

A few of their releases are left field to the constant re-jigging of products most manufacturers put on the market but at least they are attempting to innovate and they certainly put a lot of effort into presentation and action. Comparitively priced to other brands and for whatever reason, always on special at BCF. I have a few of their lures, unfortunately cant comment on durability under pressure, but putting that more on myself than the brand. Plenty of cod catches on the social networks with savage gear gear.

Rods and reels, i dont know - but I'd tend to avoid and go for a manufacturer where those products are their backbone. Not hard to nail a lure, a lot more components and nuances in delivering a durable rod/reel.

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:45 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:42 pm
Thought savage gear were European - i havent googled but im thinking they are Finnish for some reason.... . They do put together great promo videos, and the guy always on them is euro. They seem to mostly be geared to target pike fishing, but a lot of those lures would translate to cod.

A few of their releases are left field to the constant re-jigging of products most manufacturers put on the market but at least they are attempting to innovate and they certainly put a lot of effort into presentation and action. Comparitively priced to other brands and for whatever reason, always on special at BCF. I have a few of their lures, unfortunately cant comment on durability under pressure, but putting that more on myself than the brand. Plenty of cod catches on the social networks with savage gear gear.

Rods and reels, i dont know - but I'd tend to avoid and go for a manufacturer where those products are their backbone. Not hard to nail a lure, a lot more components and nuances in delivering a durable rod/reel.
Yes, I've seen like 50% even 60-70% disc on the savage gear lures at BCF.

We should put those cod lures to the test in summer!
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:04 pm

From what I know savage gear is a European company that BCF has secured the rights to be the sole distributor of in Aus, their lures are pretty interesting but only really worth buying on deep discount imo. Can't really say much about the rods don't feel that great but they are super cheap as well.

This is my favourite little piece on savage gear lures, skip to 7:37 or follow the link, can't get it to embed part way through vid
https://youtu.be/FQNGiPldeq8?t=457
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Ed..

Smile Re: Shimano Quickfire graphite rods 1/2 price

Post by Ed.. » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:23 pm

I also bought one of the Shimano Quickfire 4-8kg snapper rods about 6 weeks ago when they went on sale at Anaconda for $30 down from $99, I mean who can't resist a bargain, and at that price if it isn't that good then it's not too great a hit in the pocket but it feels OK for a light rod. Having said that I have a history of snapping the tips off pure graphite rods, so if it doesn't do that then it should be OK. Paired it up with a Penn SSVI 2500LL with some 16lb braid. Just have to use it now. :-D

As for the Savage Gear most of the spinning reels feel quite good to me but that really isn't a test of performance or longevity, I did buy the Savage Stealth 3000 sized bait caster ages ago when it got discounted from $240 down to $120, but personally I wouldn't buy another one again as it just doesn't feel right if that makes sense.
Last edited by Ed.. on Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willow17

Post by willow17 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:01 pm

Hey Guys,

My mate brought 4 of the Savage Gear 'Black savage' Rods and differing sizes reels of the black and stealth models late last year when they had a buy the rod get reel free sale.

The reels feel pretty solid so far using them in the salt for flathead, pinkies and whiting. They feel reasonable smooth and well built for the price point and cant really fault them yet.

However, the Black savage rods are a different story he has broken all 4 of them haha. BCF have been good and replaced all and he has brought another 2 and used the credit from 2 on shimano rods. The rods themselves feel really nice, super light relatively decent flex and perfect for all the small stuff until... They break!!

3 broke mid section while using little pea sinkers or size 1 and whiting hooks well under the weight limits of the rod. One broke at the tip in the rod holder while travelling out to a fishing spot a (was not rigged and did not hit another rod/ have rods around it) I don't know if he has had bad luck or how he treats/stores his gear away from the boat.

I also brought one as a backup/ spare that i haven't fished with it yet as i use Shimano or Daiwa.

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:53 am

I have 4 Quickfire spin rod combos for flicking lures n light bait fishing. Had them for over 2 years now and haven't broken any, the sienna reels still going strong. If your the clumsy type it might be better to buy the solid glass ones, I know I used to have a black queen rod and it was almost invincible. Down side was that it's heavy as lead to use. The thing with full graphite rods is that they're sometimes really brittle, small hairline crack from a drop on hard surface could mean instant break when loaded.

Return to “Fishing sales, deals and bargains”