Brighton Pier 12/01/15

Brighton Pier, Elwood, Sandringham and surrounds
Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Brighton Pier 12/01/15

Post by Basti » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:35 am

Mate of mine wanted to get one last session in before he went back to work so we decided to have a crack at Brighton Pier. Arrived at 7.30, lines in the water by 8. using pillies and some freezer burnt salmon.

Almost immediately getting hits from micro pinkies and this would last till around 10 pm. At 10 I went to rebait a rod for the hundredth time when it bent over in front of me. A short fight later (surf rod) I swung my PB flattie over the rail. Went 42 cm nose to tail.

Weirdly enough it went dead quiet after the flathead with a bit coming every 30 min or so. I was constantly losing bait to pickers so small that the rod bells never rang (also a ray that took me for a walk down the Pier but we won't mention that) . Decided to stay till I ran out of pillies then pack up and swap to plastics gear.

2am and plastics time. The wind had died right down and the tide was about to turn so very clear water. Spotted a couple of shadows near where the rocks start and with a couple of casts with a small white flick bait I was on to a 40cm pike. Good fun on 1-3 kg gear but I landed him quick smart. A little further along the rock wall I spotted a few more pike, among them an absolute monster which looked at least double the size of the one I landed. As soon as I cast I saw him turn to have a look. A couple of smaller ones had a crack and missed but he muscled then out of the way and took the lure. Absolutely exploded on the hookset and within seconds he'd rubbed me off on the rocks.

Surprisingly he didn't bolt off but hung around the rest of the night so I upped leader and kept trying. No luck in the end but some heart pounding follows right to my feet. Left them smashing baitfish on the edges of the light. Ended up going home at 4am which was a lot longer that I planned on staying

nhillboy

Re: Brighton Pier 12/01/15

Post by nhillboy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:57 am

That was a long session Basti. At least you had a go mate. You never know if you don't have a go. Well done on the action you did have. Those little pinkys are driving everyone crazy :rofl:

Larksy88

Post by Larksy88 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:01 pm

Nice Flatty! best eating fish in the bay :victory:

Lightning

Post by Lightning » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:19 pm

Anyone catching any KGW in front of the bathes there???

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:12 pm

What sort of rigs do you use down there, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:36 pm

the usual ppb mix for me. one paternoster with 3/0 and one running sinker with a single 5/0. I've never targetted whiting there but it'd probably be a 'noster with 1/0 circles

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:56 pm

:thumbsup: thanks Basti, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Return to “Brighton to Sandringham”