how to use soft plastic lures to target flathead?

Brighton Pier, Elwood, Sandringham and surrounds
wem21
Has liked: 42 times

how to use soft plastic lures to target flathead?

Post by wem21 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:42 pm

Hello guys, I live in the Brighton area, so I always go fishing at Brighton Break wall. I often target squid and the BIG Reds, but last week I saw a guy have a huge fight with a 60cm flattie. Looked like lots of fun, so I went off to Compleat Angler, got some SP's and TT jig heads(Apparently they are the best) I have had a few trips with these, yet I always donut :( while the other guy next to me catches some :o_0:. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong, so any tips/advice/tutorial is welcome. I use kmart rods :oops:
Last edited by wem21 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

williwonder

Re: how to use soft plastic lures to target flathead?

Post by williwonder » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:34 pm

I have just started fishing with soft plastics from the boat at anchor. I have found using gulp nemisis with a slow roll along the bottom scores countless flathead of all sizes due to its ease of use, I put in the odd twitch to build up my retrieve skill set.
thats about all the advice I can give but others on the site may have better info.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:43 pm

Keep your plastic on or near the bottom for most of your retrieve. Hop it, whip it, roll it, doesn't matter - all of these will get them, as long as you are letting it hit the bottom. Of course, some days they'll like one retrieve over another so change it up every few casts till you get hits.

I personally like paddle tail plastics but anything will work. Around the 80mm to 100mm mark in size
This is just general flattie advice. I don't actually target them much and I've only caught around 15 out of ppb on lure. Others will give you better location advice.

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:47 pm

:-D :-D :-D
Last edited by wem21 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:14 pm

Gulp worm.seems great for flatty...
Any where sandy....
I use 4lb main n 10lb leader....
When.its warmer wade out n cast around at low tide..
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

rodderslw

Post by rodderslw » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:22 pm

wem21 wrote:Hello guys, my name is Remus and I live in the Brighton area, so I always go fishing at Brighton Break wall. I often target squid and the BIG Reds, but last week I saw a guy have a huge fight with a 60cm flattie. Looked like lots of fun, so I went off to Compleat Angler, got some SP's and TT jig heads(Apparently they are the best) I have had a few trips with these, yet I always donut :( while the other guy next to me catches some :o_0:. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong, so any tips/advice/tutorial is welcome. I use kmart rods :oops:
If you are land based i would recommend a heavier jig head like 1/4 ounce or bigger so you can cast further, cover more ground and hit the bottom. Paddle tails will make the jig sink a bit slower. Once it hits the bottom you will see your line go limp then reel up the slack line and lift the tod up to make you lure jump off the bottom...let it sink then repeat. My pb flatties have always come from shallow water. Look for light weed with abit of rubble and rock. Dont be afraid to wade along the beach instead of just fishing the jetties...good luck!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:05 pm

what jighead weights are you using??
try 1/4oz for starters and slowly drag the plastic along the bottom with some small hops thrown in

YOU HAVE TO BE ON THE BOTTOM TO CATCH FLATHEAD

one2three

Post by one2three » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:08 am

bowl wrote:Gulp worm.seems great for flatty...
Any where sandy....
I use 4lb main n 10lb leader....
When.its warmer wade out n cast around at low tide..
How long of a leader do you have a light line like you have?

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:53 pm

wem21 wrote:Hello guys, my name is Remus and I live in the Brighton area, so I always go fishing at Brighton Break wall. I often target squid and the BIG Reds, but last week I saw a guy have a huge fight with a 60cm flattie. Looked like lots of fun, so I went off to Compleat Angler, got some SP's and TT jig heads(Apparently they are the best) I have had a few trips with these, yet I always donut :( while the other guy next to me catches some :o_0:. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong, so any tips/advice/tutorial is welcome. I use kmart rods :oops:
Apart from mentioning that you, "use kmart rods's", you havent specified what rod and line your using. A graphite rod and braided(as light as possible) line will improve your catch rate if you are not already using it.

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:44 pm

On the rocky bit of the break wall, face towards the marina at low tide and sometimes you will spot flatties sitting around. Throw a sp near it and twitch until it bites. Last time i caught a 50cm sight casting like that.

Otherwise just do what the others here have mentioned. Flatties arent all that fussy about what lure you use as long as it hits the bottom

Return to “Brighton to Sandringham”