Brighton today

Brighton Pier, Elwood, Sandringham and surrounds
wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Re: Brighton today

Post by wem21 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:33 pm

sloth wrote:What rod do you have and what's the cast weight on it (usually written on the blank)?

Going heavy for flatties won't matter but you don't want to use more weight to cover up an issue you could fix .... You're setup sounds ok if you're using braid ..
Could just be technique?
maybe...
i can check out some youtube videos to see if im casting correctly
Also no, Im not using braid. Should i use it?
Edit: Yes, I should use braid. How long should my leader be and seeing as I only have 20lb braid without buying any more, is this over kill? (its the jarvis walker trash)
Last edited by wem21 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:00 pm

wem21 wrote:
sloth wrote:What rod do you have and what's the cast weight on it (usually written on the blank)?

Going heavy for flatties won't matter but you don't want to use more weight to cover up an issue you could fix .... You're setup sounds ok if you're using braid ..
Could just be technique?
maybe...
Most guys lure fishing will use braid with a leader or run a light fluorocarbon straight through. If soft plastics fishing it's generally braid.

Braid will cast way better (and further) than 4kg mono will for sure. As another benefit you'll also feel heaps more through the braid than mono so will feel takes much better.

Generally for soft plastics on a 2-4kg setup you'd be talking a light/thin diameter braid (6lb - 8lb) with a couple of metres of fluorocarbon leader (4 - 8 lb) depending on where you are fishing. Lighter is better if you can get away with it without being busted off on the terrain you're fishing.

Braid can have a bit of a learning curve to start off with - leader knots and just general line management - but once you're used to it you'll find that lure fishing is much more enjoyable and effective than persisting with mono.

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:10 pm

sloth wrote:
wem21 wrote:

Could just be technique?
maybe...
Most guys lure fishing will use braid with a leader or run a light fluorocarbon straight through. If soft plastics fishing it's generally braid.

Braid will cast way better (and further) than 4kg mono will for sure. As another benefit you'll also feel heaps more through the braid than mono so will feel takes much better.

Generally for soft plastics on a 2-4kg setup you'd be talking a light/thin diameter braid (6lb - 8lb) with a couple of metres of fluorocarbon leader (4 - 8 lb) depending on where you are fishing. Lighter is better if you can get away with it without being busted off on the terrain you're fishing.

Braid can have a bit of a learning curve to start off with - leader knots and just general line management - but once you're used to it you'll find that lure fishing is much more enjoyable and effective than persisting with mono.
so i should go ahead with the braid, and use either mono or fluorocarbon as rhe leader?

Return to “Brighton to Sandringham”