Brighton today

Brighton Pier, Elwood, Sandringham and surrounds
wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Re: Brighton today

Post by wem21 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:32 pm

LINwAd wrote:I made a video about just that. It may help.
https://youtu.be/x8s-HYOmLqU
Got there at 12pm and flicked plastics along the inside of the marina until 3, without any fish or bites. Next time, I guess. i also noticed i had trouble casting close to the moored boats, is there any solution for this? I was using a 2-4kg rod, 4kg line and 6kg leader with a 1/8oz jighead paired with a 3000 reel and a 2.5 inch zman grub in motor oil

cantcatchem

Post by cantcatchem » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:45 pm

wem21 wrote:
Got there at 12pm and flicked plastics along the inside of the marina until 3, without any fish or bites. Next time, I guess. i also noticed i had trouble casting close to the moored boats, is there any solution for this? I was using a 2-4kg rod, 4kg line and 6kg leader with a 1/8oz jighead paired with a 3000 reel and a 2.5 inch zman grub in motor oil
Change your line class from kilo to pounds and you could also try a 1/4 jighead and might have a chance but everything else seems ok

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:19 pm

wem21 wrote:
braid ?

LINwAd

Post by LINwAd » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:49 pm

wem21 wrote:
Its a bugger you didnt get anything!

I normally run about 6lb to 8lb very thin diameter braid paired up with a 10lb flurocarbon leader and it casts well on the 2-4kg rod I have with 2500 size reel. (Wind is a big factor in casting distance aswell)

I have gone to brighton plenty of times and not caught a fish however there is some really good days with big flathead and pinkies (right time right place)

Most of my fish have been hooked up about 20m out from any land based location I go so dont stress too hard.

The more you go the more luck you will have. Keep trying mate.
LandFishTV creator - https://www.youtube.com/landfishtv/ Enjoy! :water:

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:57 pm

You can run a ball sinker down to your jig to increase casting distance, using a slow roll retrieve. I find flathead really dont care at all, but unlikely to get pinkies this way.

Alternative is a running sinker rig. I've caught a 2kg snapper like this before but it was on a boat so maybe a bit different

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:00 pm

LINwAd wrote:
wem21 wrote:
Its a bugger you didnt get anything!

I normally run about 6lb to 8lb very thin diameter braid paired up with a 10lb flurocarbon leader and it casts well on the 2-4kg rod I have with 2500 size reel. (Wind is a big factor in casting distance aswell)

I have gone to brighton plenty of times and not caught a fish however there is some really good days with big flathead and pinkies (right time right place)

Most of my fish have been hooked up about 20m out from any land based location I go so dont stress too hard.

The more you go the more luck you will have. Keep trying mate.
20m! Im furthest i can cast is 3/4 of the way between the moored boats and the rockwall! Should i stick with the 1/8 or go with a 1/4 or 1/6?

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:12 pm

buddy if your throwing 1/4 or 1/6 jigheads between the moored boats and rockwall your going to lose alot of gear 20m cast is fine my setup is a shimano impact nano xt 702 rod 1-4kg fk stradic 2500 reel loaded up with 6lb braid and 10 to 12 lb sunline fluro leader the only time i start throwing the 1/4 plus jigheads is on the other side of the rockwall for distance

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:27 pm

Just persist and practice

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:51 pm

What rod do you have and what's the cast weight on it (usually written on the blank)?

Going heavy for flatties won't matter but you don't want to use more weight to cover up an issue you could fix .... You're setup sounds ok if you're using braid ..
Could just be technique?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:11 pm

wem21 wrote:
Don’t give up mate. If you keep persisting I’m sure you will get some soon. There are plenty of flatties around atm.

Return to “Brighton to Sandringham”