My 3rd go at Mordy Pier

Black Rock, Beaumaris, Half Moon Bay, Mordialloc, Parkdale
cotte

Re: My 3rd go at Mordy Pier

Post by cotte » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:32 pm

Next time you get onto them throw a lure out, that is HEAPS of fun. When they really get going they even take lures from the surface and you can see 3-5 of them just busting the surface to eat your lure :D

Andoki

Post by Andoki » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:34 pm

this is how salmon works, comes in rush for a good half an hour (max one hour) then it goes dead, usually with the first light in the morning and right before sun sets, they may come for another round of feeding if the first round was a quick one, but this is not necessarily to happen.
You also can keep them alive in a bucket for a while, but they usually they die after a while
In my opinion, for better taste, you bleed them while they still alive, but it is up to you.

shazzagraz

My 3rd go at Mordy Pier

Post by shazzagraz » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:52 pm

Out of curiousity, what's the best way to bleed these guys? Also, is it likely that salmon will be hanging around St Kilda pier as well, or any surrounding areas?

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:56 pm

behind the gills get the knife in behind the gills and cut down on it.. and i have been seeing many seagulls diving in and out of the water at st kilda pier could be a good frenzy out there.
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

shazzagraz

My 3rd go at Mordy Pier

Post by shazzagraz » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:08 pm

Sweet. Might see if the kids want to get out there early tomorrow morning. Thanks mate.

Andoki

Post by Andoki » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:44 pm

at this time of the year, they are almost everywhere around the bay and beaches ... good luck Shazza

shazzagraz

My 3rd go at Mordy Pier

Post by shazzagraz » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:35 pm

Cheers mate, it's kinda up to my wife (if she lets me lol) and kids (if they're up early enough and want to go) whether I go or not though.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:03 pm

shazzagraz wrote:Out of curiousity, what's the best way to bleed these guys? Also, is it likely that salmon will be hanging around St Kilda pier as well, or any surrounding areas?
Put your thumb on the top of its head, put your fore finger and middle finger each side of its gill covers, grabbing the bottom edge, pull back hard. Thank you and goodnight, times up..
Carl.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:11 pm

cotte wrote:Nice catch man! Those would be Australian salmon, herring (the small size ones I've ever caught) have more of a brown colour and have a bit more prominent stripes and are rough when u rub them. As for brown trout...pretty sure they only reside in freshwater...

Did you catch them with lures or bait?
Sea run Brown Trout...?
The fish in the photo are Aussie Salmon.. but I`ve caught Sea trout before back in the uk...was truly mad..
Carl..

Andoki

Post by Andoki » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:09 am

the sea trout maybe another name or very close to the aussie salmon family i guss

Return to “Black Rock to Mordialloc”