Snapper Report 26/10

Black Rock, Beaumaris, Half Moon Bay, Mordialloc, Parkdale
TheGreatestGoat

Snapper Report 26/10

Post by TheGreatestGoat » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:26 am

Gday All,

Had a snapper tuition charter booked in yesterday with Matt Cini but unfortunately was cancelled. Had already taken the day off so thought I may aswell have a crack myself.

Launched at Black Rock around 5.30. Decided that I was going to wait until I found some decent looking fish on the sounder. There are plenty of big schools around that 8 metre line but from my experience over the past few trips they are largely comprised of pinkies. After not too long I hit a couple of fat boomerang arches, just two fish right on the bottom. Started burlying and put out a spread of rods - squit head on a circle, pilly, scad and silver whiting to offer some choice for breakfast.

Within 10 minutes had a mammoth run initial run, it was a seriously large fish. Thought it was on the circle so didn't strike, spat the hooks and that was that. Rookie error, lesson learnt. Once the burley was in, was plagued by small pinkies and snook. Then things went dead after the sun rose.

Heard the gasso normally fires up in November so headed out there for a sniff given it's just round the corner. Definitely fish out there, but couldn't entice a bite. Weather picked up a bit so headed in a bit closer to the Parkdale Pinnacles to throw some plastics around.

Was fishing the drop offs where there were some good marks showing but couldn't get a bite. Decided to drift over the shallow areas around 3 metres, and straight away hooked a really nice fish only for the line to go slack. Old mate had snapped the hook in half. Picked up a few around the 1kg mark, but nothing of any size after that.

All in all put around 10 hours in, didn't get the result I was after but getting ever so closer to a big one.

Couple of quick questions. How long do you give a spot once you've anchored before calling it quits and moving on?

And what sort of rate do you burley at? I've just sort of been throwing in a handful of cubes ever 5 minutes.

Cheers,
Goat

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Snapper Report 26/10

Post by purple5ive » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:35 am

you did well considering the efforts mate.
also with circles, i always give a gentle tug NOT A STRIKE, moreso to just make sure the hook has set.
1 kg fish is still a fish.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:19 am

Sounds like you r doing plenty right.... :thumbsup:

Cannot recommended fresh bait enough ,so anytime you r flick ing soft plastic on the drift. also put a sleeper rod out with squid jig on it....
If ya sound up fish few hours after sunrise,sometimes just caught fresh bait will get them on the bite.... :water:
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:22 am

The way you are going, shouldn't be too long before you get that big one in the boat :thumbsup:
1 kg size ones are still a great eating size :P

Mustang38
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Mustang38 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:05 am

Sounds like great day any way. Once the tuition private or s it I a charter and Matt spends time with you .

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:58 pm

Nice work....sounds like it was a enjoyable day
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Luluberlu

Post by Luluberlu » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:46 pm

purple5ive wrote:you did well considering the efforts mate.
also with circles, i always give a gentle tug NOT A STRIKE, moreso to just make sure the hook has set.

So only a gentle pull for a circle hook?....I always strike....Maybe this is why I miss many?? ;-)

Luluberlu

Post by Luluberlu » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:51 pm

I am happy when I got a few 1 kg pinkies......but everyone try for the real big one...me too but no luck yet

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:56 pm

Luluberlu wrote:
purple5ive wrote:you did well considering the efforts mate.

So only a gentle pull for a circle hook?....I always strike....Maybe this is why I miss many?? ;-)
yes mate, never strike when using circle hooks, just gentle pressure until you feel the fish hook itself is more than enough

Return to “Black Rock to Mordialloc”