Newbie help Mordialloc

Black Rock, Beaumaris, Half Moon Bay, Mordialloc, Parkdale
divineau

Newbie help Mordialloc

Post by divineau » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:57 am

Hey guys just moving to main st mordialloc and want to get into some pier fishing.

Just wondering what kg setup and rig would you reccomend.

And any tips on high vs low tide ect.

Mainly wanting to catch whiting and squid.

Hope to hear from you thanks in advance

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Newbie help Mordialloc

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:04 am

Best thing to do is go to the pier and watch the locals.

As you are targetting squid and whiting.

The right hand side of the pier is good for squid, you use what ever breaking strain you like, however I have 20lb braid with a 20lb mono leader that is about 2 rod lengths.

For whiting the lighter the better, I know some people who will fish with 4lb mono, I wouldn;t go heavier than 20lb.

One rod can serve both purposes, so buy a rod designed to cast squid jigs and that can also be your whiting rod.

You can also catch salmon from the pier, and pinkies, bream in the river/creek or mullet or garfish.

Go to fishing fever and they will help you out.

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:15 am

I like 10lb braid with 15lb fluro for squid. I find the lighter you can get away with helps with cast distance. The leader should be long enough that it is halfway between the guide closest to the reel and your finger when you have the bail arm open to cast. There should be about six inches of leader 'hanging' out the end tied to a snap swivel. This allows for quick lure changes and also you can jjst clip on a pre tied whiting rig.

Wollys suggestion of a squid rod that you use for whiting too is a great idea. Cuts down how much you have to take with you etc. And as suggested, speak to a shop for info.

Side note: Use an FG knot for your braid to leader.
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

divineau

Post by divineau » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:17 am

Thanks guys.

Are squid and whiting around all year? Any favorites on whiting bait?

Something like this rod and reel?

http://www.fishingtackleshop.com.au/pro ... -reel.html

Weedle

Post by Weedle » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:21 am

What about Tides? When is the best time to start fishing in regards to tides? or does it depend on what you are targeting?

Ta

azkay

Post by azkay » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:08 am

I dare say that's too heavy for what you want to do.. I don't do a lot of squid fishing but the light graphite stuff with a 2500 Reel should serve you better. Spool it up with some good quality braid and use fluorocarbon leader. Some more experienced Squid fishermen will know the range better.

I use these types of combo's for pier fishing for whiting;
http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Shimano-C ... nuFrom=303
There's definitely better out there but in that price range it does the trick no problems at all..

Also, for whiting you can use the ready whiting snatchers, they seem to work well. If not, and if your starting out, just a little running sinker (as light as possible based on conditions) with a small long shank hook and pippies as bait will get you going..

In regards to tides, its a little bit unpredictable, as a general rule though fishing off the piers in PPB i'd be aiming for High Tide and the Tide Changes, especially those that correspond with Sunrise/Sunset..
Az.

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:15 am

Personally I only stick to the two big brands. Shimano and Daiwa.

You can get some nice combos on sale etc. Shimano do a balistix egi rod which is nice. Pair with a Sienna 2500 reel and you're on your way. That's my opinion anyway.

KGW are not year round but squid mostly are. Also need squid jigs. Lots of them. You will lose a few.
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:52 am

divineau wrote:Thanks guys.

Are squid and whiting around all year? Any favorites on whiting bait?

Something like this rod and reel?

Firstly if there are fishermen on the pier, either the fish are on, or not.

Squid will come in runs, best time is usually late afternoon, night, or early morning, but they can be caught any time of the day if they are there and hungry.

Whiting about now, a good tip is to fish from the beach for whiting. Incoming tide.

Different tides, will affect the fishing, it takes time to learn this so the best thing to do is go fishing when you can, look at the fishing reports.

compleat angler, fishing fever, tackle world, gone fishing all have fishing reports, some are more up dated than others.

Catching salmon on a egi rod will give you heaps of fun. However do not under any circumstances try to lift the salmon on to the pier with your egi rod as you find it will a little shorter. There is a thing called high sticking (youtube) this will break a lot of rods as the tip bends past a point where it will break.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:04 pm

Something like that should be fine. If you're serious about squidding, an egi rod is worth looking at, but i've heard the cheaper ones are just the same blank as a plastic rod, with low rider guides on it. I use a chear egi rod (Sephia AU) with a 2500 Ci4+ stradic for pretty much everything.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:47 pm

okay on the squid be warned highly addictive right near you is beaumaris pier some good squid there but be prepared to loss jigs tip count down when your jig hits the water if count ten jigs snagged count to seven see how you go next your got southern sportsfisher just down the road see wayne he has great whiting combo that comes with 2 quiver tips 2 model rods 2 chose from they from memory come with a sienna reel buy a decent egi rod and you can use that reel on it as well he has the shimano kairiki braid my choose 10pound for $29 the braid buy some decent leader i like shimano oceana 10 pound or fc rock leader packet of hooks some small sinkers bit of bait and good jigs your good to go hope that helps cheers dazz

Return to “Black Rock to Mordialloc”