Newbie help Mordialloc

Black Rock, Beaumaris, Half Moon Bay, Mordialloc, Parkdale
Weedle

Re: Newbie help Mordialloc

Post by Weedle » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:18 am

Went back to Mordi on Saturday morning, it's an hours trip from home so we made it to the pier at 5:15am the reason for being so early was to get there 2 hours before change of tide, which was due at 7:30am. Just as the sun was rising we looked down and saw about 6 large squid swimming around.

Me and my mate quickly pulled up a rod each and attached a squid jig, im still shattered that I wasnt prepared earlier but oh well.

First squid i hooked managed to get itself free when i was reaching for the net, but ended up with three large squid, a smaller one, and a 35cm Pinkie all by 9am. the squid was caught about an hour apart, and just when we thought it was done, the final one hooked itself!

We were the only ones to catch on the pier, and for once, all the perseverance paid off!

All the gear.... No idea :down:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:25 am

Very nice catch mate! Well done :thumbsup:

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:35 am

Nice work reading back through the thread you mentioned manta rays I don't think we have them in Victoria but we have the largest stingray in Australia smooth stingrays black with white spots on top white underneath often found where people discard fish bits fish cleaning tables etc.

Weedle

Post by Weedle » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:43 am

Oh really? i didnt think stingrays got that big! I couldnt see too much details of it, just a large shadow moving around,
All the gear.... No idea :down:

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Post by ChrisTaylor » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:19 am

When people mention a gutter that can be accessed when fishing off the beach, is that to the left or right of the pier (facing out towards the bay)? How far is it from shore at high tide, approximately?

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:55 am

dazz999 wrote:okay on the squid be warned highly addictive right near you is beaumaris pier some good squid there but be prepared to loss jigs tip count down when your jig hits the water if count ten jigs snagged count to seven see how you go next your got southern sportsfisher just down the road see wayne he has great whiting combo that comes with 2 quiver tips 2 model rods 2 chose from they from memory come with a sienna reel buy a decent egi rod and you can use that reel on it as well he has the shimano kairiki braid my choose 10pound for $29 the braid buy some decent leader i like shimano oceana 10 pound or fc rock leader packet of hooks some small sinkers bit of bait and good jigs your good to go hope that helps cheers dazz
:o_0: :o_0:

Some good info there mate, but It's really hard to read without any punctuation. Even a full stop here and there would help a lot. I got a headache trying to understand what you were trying to say, which is a pity because there are some good tips.

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:58 am

Weedle wrote:Went back to Mordi on Saturday morning, it's an hours trip from home so we made it to the pier at 5:15am the reason for being so early was to get there 2 hours before change of tide, which was due at 7:30am. Just as the sun was rising we looked down and saw about 6 large squid swimming around.

Me and my mate quickly pulled up a rod each and attached a squid jig, im still shattered that I wasnt prepared earlier but oh well.

First squid i hooked managed to get itself free when i was reaching for the net, but ended up with three large squid, a smaller one, and a 35cm Pinkie all by 9am. the squid was caught about an hour apart, and just when we thought it was done, the final one hooked itself!

We were the only ones to catch on the pier, and for once, all the perseverance paid off!

Nice catch weedle! :)

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:07 am

the gutter at mordi is between the shore and the start of the reef on the right. you'll get salmon cruise through there on a change of light quite often. the resident smooth rays are harmless unless they take a liking to your bait. In that case, you'd better hope your rods are secured.

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:04 pm

Nude up » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:35 am

Nice work reading back through the thread you mentioned manta rays I don't think we have them in Victoria but we have the largest stingray in Australia smooth stingrays black with white spots on top white underneath often found where people discard fish bits fish cleaning tables etc.

Back in the 80s i saw a ray the size of a big car or bigger at rosebud pier,wow young kids were swimming over it without fear.

Blackbulldog

Post by Blackbulldog » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:07 pm

Hey i am a newbie myself..
Can i know where do you park when fishing at the pier?
I see that there is a paid carpark right by the Pier from 8am-8PM i think...
so if you get there early in the morning before 8 does it mean i have to walk back to get the ticket at 8... that's rather inconvenient no? :-D

Return to “Black Rock to Mordialloc”