31/3 Mornington - they weren't lying!

Black Rock, Beaumaris, Half Moon Bay, Mordialloc, Parkdale
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: 31/3 Mornington - they weren't lying!

Post by purple5ive » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:17 am

Well done mate. Cracker fish

Fahro

Post by Fahro » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:15 am

Nice fish there mate..

What boat do you have there?

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:23 am

Fahro wrote:Nice fish there mate..

What boat do you have there?
Cheers mate.

It's a 2002 Brooker Discovery 525 Centre Console.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:00 pm

Your post inspired me....went out Sunday at the Northern end of the bay and only managed pinkies and squid. So what's the go...are all the good size ones on their way out of the bay now and congregate down south?

yepi'mon

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:31 pm

Mattblack wrote:Your post inspired me....went out Sunday at the Northern end of the bay and only managed pinkies and squid. So what's the go...are all the good size ones on their way out of the bay now and congregate down south?
Good stuff mate, I can now tell the wife that there is a purpose to my fishing and that the people need me!

Whats the go with snapper..... I think that is a million dollar question with snapper in the bay. I am by no means an expert but I do know that the questions of exactly where and what the fish are doing will bring on a different answer depending who you ask.

Some say that the fish are always there, some say that they come and go for the annual breeding migration. Personally, I think it's a mix of both. Obviously the snapper go crazy at certain times of the year and this is no doubt when they come in to breed. But given the state of the bay and the amount of food thats in it there is no doubt that some of the big boys either stay to graze and fatten up or alternatively come in and out to feed as they wish.

I also believe that where you are catching your pinkies is more than likely around where they were spawning late last year. It's probably why at this time of the year there are a lot of people catching pinkies up north, in close and along the piers. It seems that the larger fish are out a bit deeper, chilling in the cooler water and fattening up on the sea bed smorgasbord thats on offer. It's also possible that the bigger ones are slowly there making their way out of the bay, stopping here and there (Mornington 19m in this case) to feed and kick back.

From the reports I read on Sunday the fish at Mornington have now moved on.... Whether this was a natural occurrence or they were "fished" off, I couldn't say.

*The above is just my thoughts, there are no doubt some guys who might be able to advise a bit better.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:10 pm

yepi'mon wrote:
Mattblack wrote:Your post inspired me....went out Sunday at the Northern end of the bay and only managed pinkies and squid. So what's the go...are all the good size ones on their way out of the bay now and congregate down south?
Good stuff mate, I can now tell the wife that there is a purpose to my fishing and that the people need me!

Whats the go with snapper..... I think that is a million dollar question with snapper in the bay. I am by no means an expert but I do know that the questions of exactly where and what the fish are doing will bring on a different answer depending who you ask.

Some say that the fish are always there, some say that they come and go for the annual breeding migration. Personally, I think it's a mix of both. Obviously the snapper go crazy at certain times of the year and this is no doubt when they come in to breed. But given the state of the bay and the amount of food thats in it there is no doubt that some of the big boys either stay to graze and fatten up or alternatively come in and out to feed as they wish.

I also believe that where you are catching your pinkies is more than likely around where they were spawning late last year. It's probably why at this time of the year there are a lot of people catching pinkies up north, in close and along the piers. It seems that the larger fish are out a bit deeper, chilling in the cooler water and fattening up on the sea bed smorgasbord thats on offer. It's also possible that the bigger ones are slowly there making their way out of the bay, stopping here and there (Mornington 19m in this case) to feed and kick back.

From the reports I read on Sunday the fish at Mornington have now moved on.... Whether this was a natural occurrence or they were "fished" off, I couldn't say.

*The above is just my thoughts, there are no doubt some guys who might be able to advise a bit better.
Your theory sounds logical...Cheers....P.S. I'll tell your wife if you tell mine (I think she's getting a bit tired of being a fishing widow)

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:14 pm

mornington was like bourke street on sunday morning, got there at 5.30 and no parking available.
weather was shitehouse and needless to say i got no big reds, got thrown around in my lil boat, got soaked and cold, very miserable day. i think dad wont come fishing again lol

yepi'mon

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:13 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Your theory sounds logical...Cheers....P.S. I'll tell your wife if you tell mine (I think she's getting a bit tired of being a fishing widow)

Sure thing mate, maybe they can get together and knock back a few bottles whilst they wait!

yepi'mon

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:14 pm

purple5ive wrote:mornington was like bourke street on sunday morning, got there at 5.30 and no parking available.
weather was shitehouse and needless to say i got no big reds, got thrown around in my lil boat, got soaked and cold, very miserable day. i think dad wont come fishing again lol
Tough luck Purple, maybe you need to convince the old man to buy a boat so he can stay warm!

What kind of boat are you running at the moment?

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:30 pm

hahaha nah no chance of him buying a boat. i have a 4.2m smartwave centre console polyboat.

Return to “Black Rock to Mordialloc”