Black Rock this morning

Black Rock, Beaumaris, Half Moon Bay, Mordialloc, Parkdale
wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Black Rock this morning

Post by wem21 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:07 pm

Hi all!
Some mates and i took advantage of a student free day and headed down to some rocks around black rock (not the ones around the pier). We set out our first rod at 7am, baited with live baitfish caught the night before and cast out to a reef ~60 metres away. We jigged for a bit ending up with 3 nice bait sized squid. 5 other rods were also casted out, baited with squid caught that morning and while we waited we flicked some plastics around.

Around 8 I hooked up onto something on the livey, it went flying and i burnt myself touching the reel :rofl:. 1st run, still going strong, second, wow this fish has endurance, third, feels like the first, fourth run slowed down a little. I started pumping it back in when it snapped the rod tip on the fifth run. After a 20 minute fight trying to keep it away from the reef I could see it as it swam right up to the rocks. It was silvery goldy light brown with big reflective eyes, at least 80cm long . Not too sure as i got a one secind glimpse before One final head shake snapped the hook clean in half and off it went to live another day. I was pretty upset, as you can probably guess.

We got a few 30~40cm pinkies after that but no touches on the plastics. We left at 11am
Do yall have any idea what fish that was?
Cheers

Edit: Gear used was 15lb braid and 20lb mono leader on the livey, 10lb braid and 12lb mono leader on all the rest

Duffman

Re: Black Rock this morning

Post by Duffman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:35 pm

Sounds like a King. Not many fish fight like that in the bay. Especially for that size. Better to have hooked and lost than never hooked at all. Maybe upgrade a little when using live bait, i would use maybe 30lb gear.

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:57 pm

No good on missing a good fish. But better than hooking nothing. Hmm hook snapped in half. Sounds like dodgy hooks or not strong enough for the job. I only buy quality hooks so that heart ache doesn’t happen. What hooks were you using.

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:59 pm

Hosery wrote:No good on missing a good fish. But better than hooking nothing. Hmm hook snapped in half. Sounds like dodgy hooks or not strong enough for the job. I only buy quality hooks so that heart ache doesn’t happen. What hooks were you using.
Gamakatsu 2/0 hooks

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:03 pm

By your description, and using a livie it could only have been two things. A Kingfish or a Mulloway... Mulloway sounds more unlikely, but i've seen them caught at Lagoon Pier before so you never know i guess...
You can purchase quality gear without breaking the bank too much. Wouldn't ever try target fish along the lines of those without solid gear that would get the job done, especially not cheap hooks!

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:05 pm

wem21 wrote:
Hosery wrote:No good on missing a good fish. But better than hooking nothing. Hmm hook snapped in half. Sounds like dodgy hooks or not strong enough for the job. I only buy quality hooks so that heart ache doesn’t happen. What hooks were you using.
Gamakatsu 2/0 hooks
your Gamas snapped.....? now thats something i havent heard of before. Always been strong and reliable for me. the only brand i use. Maybe because 2/0 and light guage

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:15 pm

Kind of surprised the gama let you down. I have used plenty and never had one snap on me.
Nice pan size pinkies :thumbsup:

PhilN

Post by PhilN » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:18 pm

If I were you, I would be going same spot same time for the next few days (with better gear). Some things are more important than school

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:37 pm

Gee sounds like you were close to landong a nice kingy

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:38 pm

Bugger on loosing a big one

Return to “Black Rock to Mordialloc”