Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Half moon bay

Post by Lightningx » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:29 pm

wem21 wrote:
dazz999 wrote:
wem21 wrote:How do you know if a flattie has taken your lure?
flatties normally hit the plastic hard small pinkys are normally tap tap on your plastic and just pants it (pull the plastic down the jighead)you can stop that by a drop of superglue on the jighead before you put the softplastic on i dont bother doing that
So if a flattie takes it yu should feel a big tap, or see the line twitch?
Yea I have caught many flatties on plastics and most of the time the hook themselves

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:52 pm

Most likely your plastic eithe wasn't getting to the bottom. Or the fish were hitting it and you didn't know.
Fact the plastic was coming off the jighead is probably a giveaway.
Also he might have been targetting the drop.offs where they sit and you were blindly casting

Jucfishing

Post by Jucfishing » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:27 pm

Is this the half moon bay in Jan Juc?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:12 pm

Jucfishing wrote:Is this the half moon bay in Jan Juc?
Says black rock to mordialloc so I’m pretty sure he’s referring to the one at black rock :)

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:28 am

Jucfishing wrote:Is this the half moon bay in Jan Juc?
Noope :P
In black rock, where the boat ramp is

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:49 am

Experience.

When I first starting squidding, Forum mod Poodoo and I used to catch up fairly often. I'd be on the ledge for an hour, have 3 squid and be feeling pretty good about myself. Poods would rock up, land 9 in the space i'd get another 2. Same jig, same leader, casting at the same area. It used to drive me freaking insane. Carl still does the same thing to me salmon fishing. We cast identical lures into a gutter for an hour and he gets 4 and I get 1.

You get better at it. Purps assessment is probably accurate, also i'd suggest if the guy next to you has 2-3 fish try changing lures, make sure your plastic is on straight, make sure your hook isn't blunt etc.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:40 pm

Experience is the key ,time out on the water i only fish landbased with the squid i will talk some quick dribble sometimes when you lift your jig your on sometimes when you cast a school/pack of squid come past and you know your on they hit your jig bang on one week last year i was at brighton was using blue coloured braid the sun was making the braid hard to see i caught a few nice squid but they were just grabbing the jig a slowly moving away with it a bit like fishing for yabbies next day same time changed over to orange braid bagged out i could see the orange slowly moving

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:57 pm

The right gear as dazz just mentioned certainly helps.
Be it a longer rod for better distance landbased. Or high viz braid so you can see the line. Or even that bigger ir faster retrieve reel so there's ni slack line between jerks/flicks.
As already mentioned experience will most certainly seperate the newbies from the seasoned.

In saying this i never caught my first flathead on a plastic fir quite a while. Reason being i never let the plastic get to the bottom. Hence no flathead. Learning how the intended target species behaves is quite important.

In also saying that. Flathead generally hammer anything going past them. So next time try a heavier jighead with a curltail and drag it along the bottom. Do not lift or flick. Just cast out and skowly wind back making sure you can feel the lure dragging on the sand.
Hits will come in firm of bumps or pecks. Just slow down or stop when that happens and stay connected to the line and strike when you feel then have anither go.
If you leave it too late flathead generally will swallow the whole lure. So will be hard to get a good release if undersized or catch and release.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:26 pm

spot on steve target the species your after im abit different with the flatties i use 4inch fish plastics a small double hop retrieve

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:31 pm

once you catch a few then you cash try different retrieves. But to learn its best to drag on the bottom

Return to “Black Rock to Mordialloc”