Ricketts Point

Black Rock, Beaumaris, Half Moon Bay, Mordialloc, Parkdale
ProspectorPete

Ricketts Point

Post by ProspectorPete » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:31 am

The missus and I cancelled the Easter lunch plans with the family and went out for a session at Ricketts Point yesterday after seeing the forecast for 10 knot winds for the day and thinking it was going to be a nice day.
Launched our little 4.2 Brooker at Mordi Creek at 7am and the bay had about a 1mtr swell with white caps and more like a 15 knot wind, made our way to Ricketts and worked SP's & metal blades for most of the day in water 6-12mtrs.
We ended up loosing count of the just undersized pinkies, a few salmon, plenty of undersized flatties with a few keepers thrown in, caught what I think is a pike or snook ?? 1 banjo on a blade which I think just was unlucky to be laying where the lure fell and was hooked it the back, he looked as surprised as me when he arrived at the boat. Just before heading in I was flicking around a soft vibe and something big took off with it, 1 big big run and just as I was calling it for a big snapper it turned and ran back at us straight up past the boat and kept going for about 50mtrs, fired up the engine and the chase was on, it headed for the reef and by the time we were over the top it had either managed to wrap me around structure or find a hidey hole because there was no budging it, gave it all the pressure I could before the 8lb leader gave up.
Headed in at 5pm, it was a fun day although pretty rough until midday, first time using blades and vibes in PPB and it won't be the last.

They go hard on 6lb line :thumbsup:

Murlz
Has liked: 60 times

Re: Ricketts Point

Post by Murlz » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:31 am

Sounds like time well spent. Thanx for the report. :thumbsup:
Murlz
“I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret.”

spudtrans
Has liked: 30 times

Post by spudtrans » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:02 pm

well done, pity about the one that got away, next time maybe.
thank for the report, well done

bayman

Post by bayman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:29 pm

Nice fish on the light gear :good:

anth2013

Post by anth2013 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:07 pm

ProspectorPete wrote:The missus and I cancelled the Easter lunch plans with the family and went out for a session at Ricketts Point yesterday after seeing the forecast for 10 knot winds for the day and thinking it was going to be a nice day.
Launched our little 4.2 Brooker at Mordi Creek at 7am and the bay had about a 1mtr swell with white caps and more like a 15 knot wind, made our way to Ricketts and worked SP's & metal blades for most of the day in water 6-12mtrs.
We ended up loosing count of the just undersized pinkies, a few salmon, plenty of undersized flatties with a few keepers thrown in, caught what I think is a pike or snook ?? 1 banjo on a blade which I think just was unlucky to be laying where the lure fell and was hooked it the back, he looked as surprised as me when he arrived at the boat. Just before heading in I was flicking around a soft vibe and something big took off with it, 1 big big run and just as I was calling it for a big snapper it turned and ran back at us straight up past the boat and kept going for about 50mtrs, fired up the engine and the chase was on, it headed for the reef and by the time we were over the top it had either managed to wrap me around structure or find a hidey hole because there was no budging it, gave it all the pressure I could before the 8lb leader gave up.
Headed in at 5pm, it was a fun day although pretty rough until midday, first time using blades and vibes in PPB and it won't be the last.

They go hard on 6lb line :thumbsup:
Bad luck the one got away could be a kingfish or a snapper
Last edited by anth2013 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:13 pm

At a guess could be a rat king. Could be a snapper but cant say I've had one fight like that. We'll never know I guess :P

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:47 pm

Mulloway to 40lb have been taken off ricketts. As have kings. One or the other I reckon.

ProspectorPete

Post by ProspectorPete » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:24 pm

Yeah dunno what it was but it was big, the pic below is a rat King I caught off Ricketts a few years back on a flick bait and very similar gear but whatever I had on yesterday had a lot more weight to it and I had no hope of stopping it. If I tried to fish heavier I know I wouldn't get the hook-ups so my theory is to fish really light to get the hook-ups then worry about landing the fish after I get it on, as frustrating as that can be sometimes.
The rat King bolted and I had to palm the 2000 size spool (6lb line) because I was down to the backing, I was just lucky enough to turn it with a few meters on line left............then the real fun started.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:33 pm

Good read and a nice fish

Woollies

Post by Woollies » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:41 pm

Could've been a shark?

Return to “Black Rock to Mordialloc”