CBD Breaming

Everything about bream
mazman
Has liked: 137 times

CBD Breaming

Post by mazman » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:30 pm

After a late night discussing some possible trips in the future, Basti and I got sick of just talking about fishing and decided to head out for bream in the morning. We arrived at the Maribyrnong river a little later than planned after some exceptional planning saw us trying to make the trip in during peak hour.
We started flicking hardbodies along the rocky drop offs but struggled to get more than an inquisitive glance from bream before they disappeared back to the depths they appeared from. As we continued to work our way down the bank we found a school of small salmon charging around the shallows and quickly found any lure twitched, rolled or paused anywhere in their vicinity was hit with gusto but no hook up availed. We persisted with the hard bodies and continued to get follows but nothing was committing to hit the lure. Finally I made the switch to a cranka crab and 8 casts later I connected to a solid bream, whilst attempting to sight cast to a different fish, a great fight followed but the eventually I steered the fish into the net.
My treble was absolutely destroyed by this fish and I was left with a single point having the other two completely crushed and eventually falling of trying to remove the hook. A quick changed of crabs but I wasn’t getting any attention until we found some pylons in deep water and my crab got hit on the drop by a large fish but the fish managed to miss the hooks. As the tide went out the fish moved off the rockwalls and started feeding on pylons and other pieces of structure that were in deep water. We skipped from pylon to pylon and worked the larger rocks we could see in the water in between eventually we came to a floating platform with bream circling underneath feeding on mussels, if you stood still you could hear the crunching, we slowly worked the edges of this platform with soft plastics until eventually my soft plastic was smashed and I was on, the fish took me straight back under the platform I was standing on and spent most of the fight almost directly underneath me but eventually it popped out from under the platform and was swiftly netted.
After a quick lunch break we hit the water on a different section of the river and worked deep structure and drop offs it was looking really quiet but we decided to fish one last spot before making the call to move elsewhere or head home. This decision proved worthwhile when first cast Basti’s soft plastic was nailed as he hopped it past and again a hook up resulted. Luckily this fish was swimming away from its lair when it hit the plastic and Basti made sure it wasn’t allowed to return, playing the fish out in open water.
This shutdown the other fish that were sitting here and eventually we decided to work our way back to the car, this stretch of river was relatively uneventful with one small hit and a follow from a relatively small bream. When we started the trip home we had managed to time it so we left at the same time as a lot of people were finishing work and were met with the congested roads associated with this (we really need to plan the timing of these trips a bit better sometimes).
Cheers Alex
Ps. The full sized photos and others taken on the day can be found here full album
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Fish-Hunter

Re: CBD Breaming

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:28 am

Good Breaming you guys had, the pic's show some familiar spots ;)

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:34 am

Well done guys I enjoyed the read great post :thumbsup:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:13 am

Nice post with some nice bream :)

truebluehendo

Post by truebluehendo » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:52 pm

Great report there guys, well written and good pics to support it. We'll done
TBH

boosted

Post by boosted » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:34 pm

Even though i know every spot pictured i still can't manage to pull any fish from them!
Well done those are some big bream!

jsonh

Post by jsonh » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:40 pm

Great report, you know I've tried soft plastics and hard bodies in the same location you boys were at but have never managed to hook a bream, was just about to give up on artificial but your post has me inspired again.

What was your exact setup? I usually have a 6lb mainline connected to a 4lb fluorocarbon line then the plastic/hardbody, I work the Rockwall along the river and the pylons but nothing.

How's your retrieval? What am I doing wrong? :(

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:04 pm

Thanks guys.
For all those interested I ran a 6lb leader (might go 4lb here in the future), the key to the leader is having it long (two rod lengths is a good start). As for the retrieval it really depends on the day but for hard bodies small twitches followed by long pauses (suspending or slow floating lures help here), plastics were used hopped near structure. As for the crab I got a few good hits by letting it drop next to pylons but got the fish on a slow draw and pause retrieve along a sandy patch near structure. This was my first time fishing this system but i intend to fish it again and hopefully work the fish out a bit more.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

skuxliss

Post by skuxliss » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:30 pm

Good work gents, loved the read.

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:46 am

Great report and well done on the catches

Return to “Bream Fishing”