25th Jan - Yarra at Herring Island

Everything about bream
BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Re: 25th Jan - Yarra at Herring Island

Post by BIG GAV » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:34 am

Prawns will do u well sand worms are a killer too!
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:50 am

tony_starks wrote:what bait were you using if you don't mind me asking mate? and were you casting out or just dropping your bait down next to jetties/structure. i'm thinking about having a crack further downstream near the tennis centre tonight and usually just use banana prawns from woolworths but any bait tips are welcome ha
I normally hit up between the Swan Street Bridge and Morell Bridge....just near the Tennis centre. With the Aus Open on parking is a nightmare hence why I ended up at Herring Island for this trip.
I just use good old garden worms on a patenoster rig or running sinker rig.
As to where to cast - i just hunt around - in close to the bank and out in the middle. My rule is if there is not bite within 5-10 mins, bring the lines in and recast to slightly different spot. If after 1/2 an hour and trying a few spots in an arc if there is still no bites, I moved 100-200 metres along and start again. And repeat and repeat until you find where they are hiding.
Some nights you get lucky and get straight on to them, other nights it takes a few moves.

adamk

Post by adamk » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:21 pm

BIG GAV wrote:This area apparently produces well for yarramundi ;)
it dose, ive come across a few catch photos from there where the exif data proved that statement is correct

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:06 pm

adamk wrote:
it dose, ive come across a few catch photos from there where the exif data proved that statement is correct
Yeah I've seen photos of guys landing em on plastics there. I've not had any luck on jewies at all but haven't really invested the time into it either. I was told though, when the Yarra gets a good flush like it's getting today tis a good time to get them on dead bait.. Seems to make sense haven't put theory into practice tho.

adamk

Post by adamk » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:10 pm

BIG GAV wrote:
adamk wrote:
Yeah I've seen photos of guys landing em on plastics there. I've not had any luck on jewies at all but haven't really invested the time into it either. I was told though, when the Yarra gets a good flush like it's getting today tis a good time to get them on dead bait.. Seems to make sense haven't put theory into practice tho.
viet fork workshop guy mentioned that to me, same predicament. but tend to fish an watch jumpers so far two saves an one :(
hoping to go buy a light 10ft rod tomorrow for some srssl flicking

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:18 pm

I'll stick to further upstream. A Jew would be nice but parking is a lot easier to get when chasing cod haha

Return to “Bream Fishing”