Why so hard to catch Bream in Docklands

Everything about bream
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Why so hard to catch Bream in Docklands

Post by 4liters » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:05 pm

Broomstick wrote:Sarcasm obviously doesn't translate over the internet.
It translates fine as long as you have a rudimentary grasp of English
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:12 pm

CarlG wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Sarcasm obviously doesn't translate over the internet.
:thumbsup:
I know Purple very well, he's a very decent bloke. We always have a bit of a larf at each others expense...
Absolutely no ill intent at all.
Yeah I got it, others obviously didn't ha

FishingRookie

Post by FishingRookie » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:48 pm

fishmagnet wrote:If you can I’d fish the Maribyrnong instead of Docklands, fish are a lot less finicky and I usually get a few each time I go. The only time I fish Docklands is when the water is clear in summer (the water is filthy at The moment) and when the fish are sitting up high on pylons and boat hulls, I drop a cranks crab just to the side of them and they usually smash it. Another option is the Yarra around the Melbourne exhibition centre. Bream are normally easier to catch here than the ones in Docklands but quite often harder than the Maribyrnong. Also if you can, drop your leader from 6lb to 4lb. Will definitely increase the amount of hits you get with the finicky city fish. Hope this helps!

Sam
Thanks a lot Sam. Will try Maribyrnong as well.

FishingRookie

Post by FishingRookie » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:54 pm

sloth wrote:My post on the docks is in the premium members section. You'll have to throw a few bucks at the site to access it.

Docks bream are highly pressured so pretty finicky. Took me ages to get my first. Trick with the strike pro micro vibes is really just patience and moving. Drop every single pylon you can - open the bail and feed line out by hand so it drops through the water column freely ... If the line stops, twitches or does anything other than smoothly drop close the bail and strike. Couple of drops per pylon and move. They are pretty good at seeing you too and if they do you got little hope of a bite. I often just put the rod tip over the edge and I never walk to the edge and look over. Walk around with Polaroids you can sometimes spot fish on pontoons edges or on pylons from a distance and then sneak up on them all ninja like staying away from the edge. Same trick with the light cranka crab. Drop and move.

Crab or blade you can sit on the bottom near the pylon and gentle lift and drop. Doing this with a blade after dark can be successful if the fish are around.

Other option is soft plastics grubs, worms, wrigglers worked along the dock edges.

Really for success at the docks it's just patience, a lot of moving around and staying out of sight as much as possible. Sometimes the answer is casting micros from a distance to keep separation from you and the bream.

This time of year the nong can be the easier option. Walk the banks around the high tide - the bream will be cruising the rock banks on the high. Hardbody bream lures like strike pro pygmy, atomic shads etc worked close to the bank. Cast out along the bank so the lure
lands a metre or so out from the edge and then bring it back to you with a slow roll with a few pauses thrown in.

Can also cast the same with a soft plastics like a grub or wriggler and hop back to you slowly. A cranka crab sat in the shallow edge and slowly dragged back works too but not an exciting way to fish and you run the risk of it getting wedged in the rocks dependent where you fish. Fish anywhere from dynon Rd all the way up to canning st and the rock weir and there is bream. Again the key is don't be spotted. Stay back, cast at a distance and if you spook fish at your feet move on. Trick again is just to keep moving ....

I fish 4lb leader or 4lb straight through most places. Possibly go 6 in the docks if it's night or not clear. Lighter seems to get more bites... But could just be a confidence thing
Thanks Sloth!! Very helpful. Will try again next weekend (Unfortunately, can only fishing on weekends due to family commitments... ) Will let you know when I catch my first Bream in the Docks. :a_goodjob:

FishingRookie

Post by FishingRookie » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:05 pm

Finally caught a couple small breams from Maribyrnong river. It was on bait though ... Still happy :tongue: Still try to learn lure fishing :victory:
Attachments
IMG_7703.jpg

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:15 am

Either way well done mate

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:57 am

FishingRookie wrote:Finally caught a couple small breams from Maribyrnong river. It was on bait though ... Still happy :tongue: Still try to learn lure fishing :victory:
Well done mate and good luck with the lures :thumbsup:

Return to “Bream Fishing”