Vic Bream 2018 Series Wrap Up.

Everything about bream
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Vic Bream 2018 Series Wrap Up.

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:51 pm

Gday Guys.

This is my version of events for the Vicbream series 2018 tournament for which I competed at the Marlo and Mallacoota rounds.

Marlo Round

Friday Prefish Day.
Woke up Nice and early, launched at 7am and started to scout out the areas for some Bream. We ended up with just one fish for the day a nice 40 plus fish. Plan of attack was to fish the flats where we found some fish and hope they bite.

Saturday came and it was a disaster from the start, My fishing partner woke up with a Rather bad eye infection Due to his contact lenses, he could barely see but decided to still fish the comp. the day just got progressively worse, launching the boat was a disaster as he couldn’t see where he was going, then came the fact that I didn’t know much about the area, so he had to direct me without seeing where we were going, we ran into sandbanks, took wrong turns, you name it it all happened.
He couldn’t fish into the sun, so we had to face the boat away from the sun, there was windknots after windknots due to not being able to manage the line properly. We did not catch one bream.

we ended up second last on the leader board for the Marlo round.

Sunday was basically a repeat of Saturday!! But my mate was starting to feel a little bit better towards the afternoon and could actually see a bit. (I personally don’t think we would have made much difference having the second guy fishng 100% as it was a tough bite for us) We decided to call it early due to having no fish and decided to head down to Bemm for a fish.

We got there late evening and went out for a quick fish.
Didn’t take long to find them..

Stayed on for Monday and did well on the bream and fished it till the afternoon and then made the drive back to Melbourne..

Mallacoota Round.

Left Melbourne Thursday After work and Few Commitments at home and got to coota at 3am.
Quick snooze and up at 7am for the Prefish.

Friday
Got the boat in the water and started to scout around for the fish. We found some fish straight away and marked them on the sounder and kept looking for more. We had a fantastic day on the water, weather wise as well as Fish wise.

Saturday.
Nice and early 6.30am launch for the Official 7am start.
We started at Position 37 out of 63 boats.
We proceeded to our spot where we marked some fish, got there and the fish had moved on!!
So off to the next spot and as we got there there was 3 boats already On it.
We keep our distance from the others and sit in a channel fishng plastics
First drop was a slimswim Motoroil for me, the fish were being very subtle in their bites, and sometimes were just nudging the lures rather than just smashing it.
didn’t take long to get one to Fully Commit

Changed over to a heavier jighead as we moved over to a bit deeper dropoff.
The fish were being very subtle in their Bites so had to be extra conscious of those subtle taps when they came.

As i was working the plastic I felt the very familiar Tick on the line, waited to make sure the fish fully committed and then gently Lifted to strike….. well as I was lifting I felt quite a lot of weight so I started to wind fast, but no amount of winding was keeping the drag from slipping, then it happened a nice decent run, at this stage I slowly tighten the drag to keep the weight of the fish from slipping my drag. Then came the telltale headshakes… damn flathead!!!!!
Well its not something you want to catch on a Bream Comp as it usually means Time wasted Fighting the fish, and with 4lb leaders, 2004 sized reels and ultralight rods, it only ends one way..
But For some reason I was still Going and by the amount of weight on the Line I could tell it was a decent fish, But Nothing Prepared Me for when I Seen Colour.. This Thing was a Beast !!!!!!
She was Very Sluggish though and didn’t Put up a Massive struggle due to water temperatures being in the 11-12 degree mark.
We brought it to the Boat a few times before Finally Netting it ….
Certainly Blew My Previous PB out of the water @ 85cm this thing was a Good 20cm Bigger than my Previous PB
And to land it on 4LB Line, 2004 Reel and a 1-2Kg rod with the Lure actually Inside its Mouth was Just Pure Luck!!!
Quick Photos and it was sent back, it actually Bolted off as soon as it was in the water which was a good sign….

Kept on fishing and got Our Bag of 5 fish, which weighed in at 2.99Kg at the end of the day which put us in 39th position on the board.

Sunday

The Ladder was looking very close between teams from the day 1 weigh in, so we decided to try and find some bigger fish
The bag was acquired and then a few upgrades came along but the fish were all skinny. My Comp partner doing most of the damage which included another 40cm Yellowfin Bream
Highlights of the day was a monster trevally 50cm plus, and a massive tailor that we lost at the boat which would easily push 60cm. and numerous amount of flathead in the 50cm range.
We weighed our fish for 3.51 kg which put us into 36th place out of 63. quite happy with the outcome considering we were up against quite a lot of experienced anglers, plus the fact that our knowledge of the area was limited.
With the final presentation of trophies came the rain, so we headed to our accommodation and crashed there for the night.
Woke up to the rain still going, we had planned to fish bemm on our way back but that wasn’t happening. So we headed to the Mitchell river and had a few hours there for some rats, fish are schooled up all along the river but not feeding.
With that The vic bream 2018 Series is a wrap for me .
I learnt a few things, had some magnificent days on the water and landed a PB dusky as well as a PB yellowfin Bream. And the scenery was absolutely stunning!!!

Cheers

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Vic Bream 2018 Series Wrap Up.

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:35 pm

Congrats on improving your pb on flatties and bream.

Great report and great pics

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:41 pm

Top report and pics Steve!
Some cracker fish there mate.
Well done. Really nice work :thumbsup:

M9085

Post by M9085 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:47 pm

Well done mate, cracking fish you cought!
Congrats

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:10 pm

Great report purple (love you on the rush hour too).
Was that flatty too big ???
Would have been a great meal
Gra

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:15 pm

They are tough when get to that size

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:21 pm

Yea for sure.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:24 pm

Great read well done

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:34 pm

nice flatty on such light line well done i know it wasnt your target but a great bycatch

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:55 pm

Awesome mate! well done.

I don't wear contacts..

Cheers, Anth

Return to “Bream Fishing”