Mallacoota Vic Bream 2019 Tournament Wrap up.

Everything about bream
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Mallacoota Vic Bream 2019 Tournament Wrap up.

Post by purple5ive » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:19 pm

Gday Guys.

I Participated in the recently held Vic bream series Round 2 event Held at the Lovely east Gippsland location of Mallacoota
Heres a Short Recap of the events.

Prefish
(For those who dont know what prefish is..
2 weeks prior to the comp the area where the comp is to be held is off limits to everyone thats fishing it, the day before the comp starts you are allowed to PREFISH the area, basically to gauge where the fish are and narrow down your chances for a win)

Prefish day was mostly driving around finding fish on the sounder, we found some good fish caught a few and left them to come back on the day of the tournament.

Day 1 was a good start. we had 3 good fish in the first 20 mins of fishing and then it was shut down, we moved around to other spots that have potential, and eventually with 1.5 hours left to cut off time all hell broke loose, we caught our bag (5 legal fish) and then upgraded quite a few times
and got done by a few fish one being a beast of a fish in the snags, 3lb and snags dont mix. i seen him heading for the snags but could only do so much. few more fish hit the deck before calling it and heading in to weigh, we had a 3.2kg bag which put us in 18th position out of 50 boats.

Day 2 was a grind from the very get go, we knew it would be very hard as the fish would all be spooked from so many boats everywhere, but we werent expecting to not get anything, we got a few fish but all undersized, eventually getting one fish which we decided not to weigh in.
we handed in our Key tag and headed back out to find some fish. few hours later they fired up big time and we got quite a few good fish which would have seen us in the top 10 if we had have got them during the torunament time frame..

even with not weighing in a fish on day 2 we still managed to come 38 out of 50boats.. not a great result but better than nothing.

Tailor and flathead lightened the wallet a fair bit with a lot of lures becoming fish ornaments, one of the highlights was a tailor taking my chubby and then for the next 10 or so minutes kept jumping out of the water around the boat trying to shake the rattling chubby off his face.
also noteworthy was a dusky of around 65cm that decided it liked the chubby more than i did, 3lb straight through fluoro stood no chance specially when the lure was nowhere to be seen and most likely deep down its gob..

i attempted to do some videoing but half the time i forgot to turn the camera on, so not much fish catching was filmed
the boat performed very well, it was great to be cruising the massive lakes on full pelt, and not so good when other boats went past you and it looked like you were standing still :rofl: , nothing broke and we had a safe trip to and from coota, accomodation was good at the caravan park and dinner was great at the golf club..

Thats pretty Much it , below are some pics from the trip.. hope you enjoy..

While fishing was the main Agenda we took time off to also do some exploring and just chilled out with the locals.
we also managed to bump into Forum member scott hening who was down there chasing marlin.
while at the bastion point ramp there was a cootacraft gunshot (what a wicked looking boat they are) that had just come in from some offshore fishing, they released a marlin and also had some massive trumpeter that they were filleting, what a cool looking fish that was. they said they got them @ 200m on bait

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Mallacoota Vic Bream 2019 Tournament Wrap up.

Post by Nude up » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:07 am

Great read nice size bream there

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:50 am

Some beauties there!
Nice pics.
Cheers :thumbsup:

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:57 am

Thats awesome P5. Great report :thumbsup:
Shame about day 2, might have been in with a good shot for a top 10 finish with even an avg bag
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:25 am

Great report and pics! Initially I misread the bit about the prefish and thought you meant the waters were closed to the public for 2 weeks so competitors could fish it! I am glad I checked it again as I was about to launch into a massive rant which would have included the term 'fkn elitist bream wankers'!

How do they police the 2 week ban for competitors...just rely on their honesty?
Cheers
Team Bender
Saving my rant for when it is justified!
Last edited by April Fool on Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:26 am

Thanks Guys..

Smokingreels - yeah a Nice bag would have seen us in a very good spot. but the fact is anything can happen on Both days, some of the Gun bream fisherman i know were sitting well below us on day 1, finding some fish, and finding good fish is one thing, then trying to get them to take a lure is another challenge, and then again trying to land them is another problem, and ofcourse then you have to make sure they stay alive till weigh in which can be also a task in itself...

Jim - Im not really sure how they Police it mate tbh.

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:00 am

Great report and pics, bad luck about day 2. Coota was not it's usual self this time.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:20 am

piscateur wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:00 am
Great report and pics, bad luck about day 2. Coota was not it's usual self this time.
Thanks man, yeah day 2 was shiteee.. we shoulda just stayed where you guys were.
you guys did well yourselves gotta be happy with that, keep up the good work :thumbsup:
How bad was the rain though in the evenings everyday, not long before it will open i reckon.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:16 pm

Not my thing - but great report and read, enjoyed it.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:31 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:16 pm
Not my thing - but great report and read, enjoyed it.
Tournament bream fishing and bream fishing in general are not for everyone. Thanks for the kind words though. And I'm.glad you enjoyed the read. Cheers

Return to “Bream Fishing”