STILL NO BREAMS

Everything about bream
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

STILL NO BREAMS

Post by 4liters » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:03 pm

I spent Saturday morning at Portland, fishing in 45m SW of the rocks. The bait of choice was live arrow squid drifted or trolled behind the yak. Unfortunately no breams were landed up but as some bustups got close the squid rod went screaming off and in less than 30 seconds the Slammer 760 (not a small reel) spooled with 50lb braid was half gone and even though I was dialing up the drag whatever it was showed no sign of slowing down. In probably 30s (time is difficult to quantify when a reel is screaming in pain) the leader popped.

After re-rigging I nearly hooked a big seal with the next squid, and while trying for more livies I got a pinkie, a couta, a wrasse and a sadly barotrauma-ed barber perch - and still no breams.

After that the wind picked up and I headed back to the beach. A few boats came by to see if I was ok, which I was (apart from the lack of breams) but the gesture was appreciated nonetheless, one crew even offered me a beer.

Today I went down for a second attempt at the bream but the wind looked like it was up a bit so I pulled the pin without launching (this is what kayakers do when they don't want to be on the news and/or die), packed up the camp and went home.

A word of warning to fellow bream fishos heading to Portland - the coffee at the Port Fairy BP is ghastly and I doubt it is single origin or even fair trade.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: STILL NO BREAMS

Post by rb85 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:15 pm

Portland seems to be the bream capital of Vic...

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:06 pm

I want to know how to catch BIG breams

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:35 pm

Unlucky mate, keep at it and you will nail those breams one day! When life settles down I’ll be easing my way into some offshore fishing, might need you to show me the ropes :thumbsup: (although I’ll have a hard time keeping up with your glass yak)

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:05 am

Good try mate
When you going down again

AzCoy7
Has liked: 2 times

Post by AzCoy7 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:54 am

They're the kind of fish that offer just the right balance of challenge and reward that keep both kids and experienced anglers alike smiling.

Bream like hideouts in areas that are a bit sheltered from the current and where there is structure, cover, and readily available food. So, places like jetties, boat ramps, rock walls, pontoons, oyster racks, and areas with overhanging trees are good places to target when chasing bream with bait. It's worth noting that bream can be caught on lures in estuary shallows and targeting them here at high tide when it's a bit cloudy and there's a bit of wind can be very productive.

bilby

Post by bilby » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:09 am

Maybe try for breams around Flinders pier? I've heard that they show up around there sometimes ...

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:01 pm

AzCoy7 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:54 am
They're the kind of fish that offer just the right balance of challenge and reward that keep both kids and experienced anglers alike smiling.

Bream like hideouts in areas that are a bit sheltered from the current and where there is structure, cover, and readily available food. So, places like jetties, boat ramps, rock walls, pontoons, oyster racks, and areas with overhanging trees are good places to target when chasing bream with bait. It's worth noting that bream can be caught on lures in estuary shallows and targeting them here at high tide when it's a bit cloudy and there's a bit of wind can be very productive.
Sounds like 4l was doing everything wrong hey Az :thumbsup:

AzCoy7
Has liked: 2 times

Post by AzCoy7 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:40 pm

rb85 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:01 pm
AzCoy7 wrote:

Sounds like 4l was doing everything wrong hey Az :thumbsup:
lol :-D

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:59 pm

AzCoy7 wrote:

Zing....

4L ain't fishing for actual Bream...

Return to “Bream Fishing”