warmies/williamstown

Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: warmies/williamstown

Post by Scraglor » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:05 pm

Rod Bender wrote:Very interesting article!
....Fisherman Rudy Holzfeind estimates the water jumps from about nine to 22 degrees, attracting the tailor all the way from Gippsland. Mr Holzfeind rushes down to throw in a line after work in the city....
So, if these fish like the warm water, why are they here in the first place?
cheers
Jim

Edit.
sloth wrote:........... Great place to send people to keep them away from your other spots haha.
So the idea would be to take a pic of the power station in operation, then put pics up on Facebook at random times which coincide to a few hours before you go to your normal spot! 8-)
LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:43 am

Scraglor wrote:
Rod Bender wrote:Very interesting article!
....Fisherman Rudy Holzfeind estimates the water jumps from about nine to 22 degrees, attracting the tailor all the way from Gippsland. Mr Holzfeind rushes down to throw in a line after work in the city....
So, if these fish like the warm water, why are they here in the first place?
cheers
Jim

Edit.
sloth wrote:........... Great place to send people to keep them away from your other spots haha.
So the idea would be to take a pic of the power station in operation, then put pics up on Facebook at random times which coincide to a few hours before you go to your normal spot! 8-)
LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If your going to take a pic of the power station in operation then photo shop some dudes with huge tailor and stand back !

Stampede !!! :rofl:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Jeff67

Post by Jeff67 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:49 pm

Hi Jim,
I think it's more the bait fish that like it, probably even starts at microorganisms.
Cheers

Sent from my HTC_0PFJ50 using Tapatalk

passport1980

Post by passport1980 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:05 pm

hornet wrote:
passport1980 wrote:Moved over this side some months ago, but still head over to Bayside suburbs to fish as I know the waters there. I still don't believe the myth of the Warmies.....ha ha ha

unbeliever ! :rofl:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/ ... 47693.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe it is just me- but I can go to a couple spots down Bayside and always have action. At least some good hits, with no hook ups. Been down there about 6 times. Never really seen any fish being caught- but as I said-.............6 times. So, this wouldn't qualify for proper research.

Actually, I did get on one day. Walked straight down to the little mini boat ramp thing. Two young guys down there with a nice 45cm ish flatty. I cast my plastic- oh...........a snag. No wait, a chunky flathead- same size!!! First cast- laughed- chucked it in their bucket and went home ten minutes later. Ha ha ....so I have had luck there.

I just like fishing on my own that's why I don't like it there...

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:15 pm

Believe it, it happened for a few years, when this article came out this was one of the final years, with approx 300-500gram fish, I fished there next to them, right near the old boat ramp for 5 nice bream that day. How do I know , because I was interviewed for the article.

Now when I was younger lets say 1989 and beyond, they were big fish mostly 750g, 1kg and also 1.5kg if you were lucky, always tailor except for 1 year they were Salmon but all good stuff. Also a few bream in the mix as well, pump was very important all fish used to be around winter when the power station fired up.

Believe it I have pictures.

bilby

Post by bilby » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:13 pm

Yes, I remember seeing some big salmon pulled out of there, along with the tailor (and sometimes the odd mulloway, too).

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:31 pm

I've got a lot of mullet and tiny snapper there. Not much else though.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

snappercatcher1

Post by snappercatcher1 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:16 pm

any mullet being caught around the williamstown warmies area

adamk

Post by adamk » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:11 am

DougieK wrote:I've got a lot of mullet and tiny snapper there. Not much else though.
bream, but its a bish to not get snagged, unless your going to get out on the end of the wall an throw some distance.

it use to be my daily when i use to live in willy down near bayside secondary.

i remember the last taylor run an the droves of tards side by side, that same week i was on altona pier with my radio talking to a friend on uhf in geelong an seen some big fish breach the surface that night

but it don't matter on to catching donuts :)

Plas-Flicker

Post by Plas-Flicker » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:14 pm

Fished it a few times - maybe 5 or 6, find it a bit hit and miss.
Have only caught flatty there though but always good size in the 45 - 55cm range.
Can't say that I have seen anyone else catch anything when I've been there except a little mullet from the boat ramp, but did see one guy that had been bait fishing right out on the end of the rockwall walking back to his car carrying a nice red for his efforts.
I only use plastics, not a dangler.
Tight lines = Good Times!

Return to “Melbourne CBD & Docklands area”