Snapper Fishing / Packed Piers

Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Snapper Fishing / Packed Piers

Post by bowl » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:41 am

Caught few decent snapper this year start of winter, lots of pesky flathead....I'd fish the jetty
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:17 am

The clusterf*$# situation on piers during summer and school holidays has really started to annoy me in the last few years(...sign of becoming a old grumpy man..??), to the point of making a real effort to start fishing new areas which(seemingly) don't attract the hoards of FB fishing page trawlers and fishing forum poacher/lurkers.

Having fished PPB/WP piers since I was old enough to ride a bike, those piers are becoming less attractive during certain times of the year. Having to contend with inconsiderate individuals/ppl casting over lines/drunk bogans/drunk bogan's kids screaming....but I digress. You'l be hard pressed to match the satisfaction felt when you find a discover a spot(using google maps/navionics but more on this later) away from the masses that produces fish. It will be your 'spot x' and something that will hopefully be your spot for awhile(unless you start taking mates/passers by see you catch fish or posting on forums).

Before the days of seabreeze/willyweather ,google maps and navionics web app, people actually had to do REAL legwork and reconnaissance for new spots to see if they were viable.

Now anyone with an internet connection can check out inshore reefs on google satellite maps and overlay it with navionics web app to check out the depth anywhere. Using weather predictor sites and real time webcams, one can get determine whether a certain spot is worth a try. Sure, some of these spots aren't going to have the same access as most piers, eg park(usually free parking and a walk of 200-500m) but fishing is quite sedentary, I figure a bit of walk isn't going to hurt(wheelchair/disabled ppl excl).

cheers shaz
Last edited by shazdoggg on Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:21 am

Hahaha shazdog cheers bro ! Will give it a crack :) let's hope I do find a sweet spot

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:33 am

vinhii wrote:Hahaha shazdog cheers bro ! Will give it a crack :) let's hope I do find a sweet spot
'
If all else fails, you can fish mordi beach for snapper at dusk/night! Super underrated spot landbased snapper spot because most people head straight for the pier. The reef which runs along with the northern/city side of the pier goes all the way to the beach. Also a great spot for kgw once the bay has warmed up a bit more.

cheers shaz

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:35 am

Yeah I know shaz lol we've spoken bout this in the past :P I seen photos too haha I'll decide but later on ! Thanks heaps bro

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:11 pm

Welcome back Vinhii!
Some of my best Snapper have been caught landbased from the beach/rocks in under 2 meters of water at low tide.
You really don't need to be at the end of a pier.
Big snapper come in very shallow especially after dark.... but you have to be patient.
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:38 pm

fishingvic wrote:Welcome back Vinhii!
Some of my best Snapper have been caught landbased from the beach/rocks in under 2 meters of water at low tide.
You really don't need to be at the end of a pier.
Big snapper come in very shallow especially after dark.... but you have to be patient.

Haha thanks bro!! I just found it super fustrating that the piers can get so packed , went out the other day and one bloke had like 6 -7 rods to himself , so yeah lol , I will def give it a crack tonight! Let you guys know how I go , if I don't post on fv you have my FB anyway haha

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:46 pm

Good luck tonight vin! I'll probably be giving it a crack too tonight :thumbsup:

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:57 pm

Lightningx wrote:Good luck tonight vin! I'll probably be giving it a crack too tonight :thumbsup:
Mad mad ! You too ! Good luck! Let's hope we both hook up

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:15 pm

Welcome back vinhii!

Return to “Melbourne CBD & Docklands area”