Family friendly pier fishing

Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
Lexdon

Family friendly pier fishing

Post by Lexdon » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:10 am

Hi all,
I'm newish to fishing, I haven't really fished much since I was a kid. I've now got kids and want to take them out pier fishing somewhere between Werribee to St. Kilda. I've got a couple of decent rods but the kids have basic kmart kids rods just for some fun.
I've spent a fair bit of time reading through this forum and all it's done has confuse me and convince me that fish move about daily. Essentially all I want to do is take the kids out somewhere safe (pier, not rock) where I can drop a baited line (not lure) and catch some small yet legal sized edible fish. I've already bought pipis and long shank size 6 in preparation to fish whiting. I plan to head out early on Friday 13th morning to be setup 1hr prior to morning high tide. High tide is at a decent hour that day.

The main questions I have are where and what fish?

As much as I'd love to take the 10ft rod out and cast on pilchards or lure for something big I want to do the same as the kids.
If most agree that whiting is worth targeting I've heard of a super basic setup that only requires a loop in the line containing a running sinker with a foot and half leading to the hook, no swivel, fluro, beads etc. Drop it or small cast and reel it back to get tension. If it's easy to incorporate other bits to make it more successful then please advise

Sorry for the super long post just wanted to put everything out there. Whatever the success or failure I'll report back.

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Re: Family friendly pier fishing

Post by ChrisTaylor » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:11 am

I'm not answering all of your questions -- I know -- but I'd steer you towards garfish. Any gar is a keeper, and they taste good. The bones aren't anything to be fussed about -- a few people here have techniques for deboning them, but I'm not bothered by a bit of crunch factor (in the smaller models, at least). A float, some split shot sinkers, and a size 12 shank hook. You'll see oldies targeting them on the pier, and watching them will give you some idea about the technique.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:27 am

Hi and welcome :)
I have caught Whiting’s from most of the piers around port Melbourne and St. Kilda as well. They all have their days. Produce on some and nothing on others.
I have had a lot of success in the past with just a simple paternoster rig with bits of pippie. Small strips of squid And mussels and even white bait have worked for me as well. Good luck and let us know how you go :thumbsup:

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:28 pm

Werribee is fantastic for its bream fishing, why dont you target them? Always plenty undersize stuff to keep kids happy, but if you want a feed try targetting pinkies and flatties at at kilda pier or kerferd rd pier. You will need slightly bigger hooks and if the kids hook up to one of those im sure theyd be stoked. Goodluck mate hope you get plenty keepers :water:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:18 pm

ChrisTaylor wrote:I'm not answering all of your questions -- I know -- but I'd steer you towards garfish. Any gar is a keeper, and they taste good. The bones aren't anything to be fussed about -- a few people here have techniques for deboning them, but I'm not bothered by a bit of crunch factor (in the smaller models, at least). A float, some split shot sinkers, and a size 12 shank hook. You'll see oldies targeting them on the pier, and watching them will give you some idea about the technique.
And are fun on light gear

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:23 pm

Yea I’m sure the kids will love reeling in the gars watching them wriggle on top of the surface.

Lexdon

Post by Lexdon » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:35 pm

Thanks guys, I think gar and whiting it is. Pipis for bait just a different rig for each. I wasn't going to cast far either, just swing and drop. I used to catch gar as a kid but haven't heard anyone mention it so didn't know they were still about or maybe they're at the end of their run for the season.
How far between float, split sinkers and hook for gar? Off memory it was about 1m total with the split sinkers in the middle of that.
I remember my Dad making a dough out of bread and water to catch them, sounds like they go for anything.
Since location doesn't sound overly important I may go to Altona coz it's closest and has hand rails.

Sound like a good or bad plan????

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:03 pm

I used to catch heaps of gars mate with a pencil float, a small ball sinker, a 3 way swivel a float stopper and some Fluro leader line. Used to catch lots in winter.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:26 pm

I would try a neptune float or a pencil float
Set up with 1 split shot and then just add 1 or 2 depending how the float sits

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:38 pm

Also with gars I have found them deeper during the day but higher up the water column at night :thumbsup:

Return to “Melbourne CBD & Docklands area”