Docklands big breams sight fishing and....

Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Docklands big breams sight fishing and....

Post by Sebb » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:45 am

Went to Docklands for 2 hr fishing after work yesterday. Was hot as but the breams loved it. Water was clear.

Started burleying and got them excited around 5pm.
Tried few diff plastics using long 4ln fluorocarbon leader and 1/24 jig head, even weightless, but no takers. Looked but didn't bite.

Switched to bread and prawns unweighted. Even that, they were hesitant, couldn't even feel the bite. Most of them I stroke the rod just by looking at the fish took the bait.
It took about 10-15 mins for them to get back into feeding mood after a miss or hookup.
Caught a few, lost some, the biggest was 37cm. None taken home.

The surprise was that I saw a school of fish amongst the breams came to the burley. Either big salmons at 40-50 cm or they were small kingfish (tried to take photo but they were in mid water, couldn't get a clear photo).
I heard of kingfish in Docklands in summer, so it could be a school of small kings. Who knows.
Tried plastics on them, following but didn't take.
Attachments
rps20190125_074339.jpg
rps20190125_074231.jpg

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Docklands big breams sight fishing and....

Post by bowl » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:10 am

Seb85 wrote:Went to Docklands for 2 hr fishing after work yesterday. Was hot as but the breams loved it. Water was clear.

Started burleying and got them excited around 5pm.
Tried few diff plastics using long 4ln fluorocarbon leader and 1/24 jig head, even weightless, but no takers. Looked but didn't bite.

Switched to bread and prawns unweighted. Even that, they were hesitant, couldn't even feel the bite. Most of them I stroke the rod just by looking at the fish took the bait.
It took about 10-15 mins for them to get back into feeding mood after a miss or hookup.
Caught a few, lost some, the biggest was 37cm. None taken home.

The surprise was that I saw a school of fish amongst the breams came to the burley. Either big salmons at 40-50 cm or they were small kingfish (tried to take photo but they were in mid water, couldn't get a clear photo).
I heard of kingfish in Docklands in summer, so it could be a school of small kings. Who knows.
Tried plastics on them, following but didn't take.
There were some ripper kingfish caught in there last year.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:55 am

Sounds like a good spot. Worth experimenting a bit more with techniques. :thumbsup:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:13 am

Nice report and pics mate!
Sounds like a fun session. Definitely could have been a school of small kings :thumbsup:
As mentioned last year they were there :)

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:22 pm

Hi Seb85
Great after work effort, with great results. And great to see that you used knowledge, judgement and tried a few things instead of the same thing repetitively, as some do, with no results. Adapting either comes up with results or at bare minimum, satisfaction that that you did throw everything them.

Nice report and chonka Bream, well done.

Cheers Bugatti

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:42 pm

Bugatti wrote:Hi Seb85
Great after work effort, with great results. And great to see that you used knowledge, judgement and tried a few things instead of the same thing repetitively, as some do, with no results. Adapting either comes up with results or at bare minimum, satisfaction that that you did throw everything them.

Nice report and chonka Bream, well done.

Cheers Bugatti
Thanks! Pretty happy. Took me a while to figure out the drag settings too. Broke the line or ripped the lip if too much drag, too loose and the fish danced around the pylons.

Next time I'll try to crack the code to get the kings to bite.
Imagine, 40-50cm kings on a bream gear! XD

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:05 pm

Seb85 wrote: Thanks! Pretty happy. Took me a while to figure out the drag settings too. Broke the line or ripped the lip if too much drag, too loose and the fish danced around the pylons.

Next time I'll try to crack the code to get the kings to bite.
Imagine, 40-50cm kings on a bream gear! XD
I have a lot of respect for Anglers, like yourself, who get out and back themselves by trying, experimenting and building info and experience. Light gear would be awesome on those Kingies , , , , those kingies love pylons when you upset them. Down here at Rapid bay (SA), hooking one is hard but keeping the Kingies away from the pylons is near impossible.

Those Bream when they get to blue lip stage are big enough to give you grief as well.

Keep us posted, would love to hear how you go.

Cheers, Bugatti

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:10 pm

Thanks Bugatti, will do.

Return to “Melbourne CBD & Docklands area”