Pinkies in the warmies and unknown jumping fish??

Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Pinkies in the warmies and unknown jumping fish??

Post by Sebb » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:10 pm

I fished the warmies for couple hours today around 6:30pm.
Few undersized pinkies on the zman grub. :fish22:

There was only one other people people fishing (usually crowded), a bit windy, then BOOFF!
I was like, did someone throw a rock or a big heavy lure/sinker. Looked around and nope, almost no other people... Then again BOOFFF !! Was like aussie bass hits a surface lure but louder. Not as loud or big as murray cod booff. I thought salmons/tailors, but dont think they do that.
My heart was racing and pounding hard as if a Yowie did that rock throwing and trying to scare me... :o_0:

A local man was walking his dog and told me it could be a mullet as he's seen mullets do that.
Either feeding on shrimps or being chased by mulloways/kings.
As we're chatting, few more boofs! Tried to take some photos and videos. Not a clear photo since cant upload a video.
I'm still wondering what fish they were. Several of them.

If anyone has any ideas, please do tell. Apart from trout eating adult flying insects, I dont know any other fish free jump 2 feet into the air. Note, those fish did a free jump, not hooked or anything.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190208-213738~2.png
rps20190209_000634.jpg
rps20190209_000537.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Pinkies in the warmies and unknown jumping fish??

Post by Lightningx » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:51 pm

Nice report and pics mate.
I remember one time I was out on the boat I saw big salmon leaping out the water just like that. I would see one here and then another one there. Have never seen it again since that day. I feel they were getting chased by something much bigger possibly a kingie.

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:56 pm

Both tailor and mullet jump like that at the warmies, especially when the power station is running. From the looks of the pic it might be a tailor

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:20 am

Great report
Salmon and tailor can both jump

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:41 am

I thought they were salmons/tailors, but i thought they jump only when they're hooked (and fighting) not while feeding.
I tried plastics big and small, even tried metal slug. Feeding salmon/tailor normally hits anything shiny and moving, but these fish didn't.
Yeah, could be salmons being chased by kingies.
Should try bringing heavier rod and some sluggos plastic for the kingies next time.

canned_tuna

Post by canned_tuna » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:52 am

As a teenager I fished the warmies every weekend for three or four years and caught a few tailor over the journey. You will find if they are jumping you wont get them off the top, usually on the bottom with pilchard for bait. As I mentioned earlier with the power station running they would go crazy jumping all over the place, and big ones as well

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:18 pm

canned_tuna wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:52 am
As a teenager I fished the warmies every weekend for three or four years and caught a few tailor over the journey. You will find if they are jumping you wont get them off the top, usually on the bottom with pilchard for bait. As I mentioned earlier with the power station running they would go crazy jumping all over the place, and big ones as well
And catching them on dead pillies is the only way? Would be a great fun if they'd take lures on surface.

canned_tuna

Post by canned_tuna » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:39 pm

I tried many lures over the years for them (before soft plastics which you will get many on, they love them) and the most successful I found was the storm thunderstick in mullet pattern. But as I said I caught most on the bottom with bait

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:47 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:10 pm

My heart was racing and pounding hard as if a Yowie did that rock throwing and trying to scare me... :o_0:

G'day Seb85.

Great about the pinkies, a bit of fun and nice to see that the Fishery is doing well that there are heaps of juveniles coming through the system.

I think you may be right, but only partially right. It was a Yowie, but he wasn't throwing rocks at you, he was throwing them at the Loch Ness Monster.

big foot throwing stones loch ness.jpg

Hey, look he finally caught him and is going for a ride.

big foot loch ness.jpg
big foot loch ness.jpg (9.68 KiB) Viewed 2419 times

Great report and nice to see that Fishing Victoria now has a resident Yowie :-D

Cheers, Bugatti

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:15 am

Fished there as a young bloke. Best bait for the tailor was chicken. Used a bomb sinker just big enough to hold in the current, foot above a swivel, off that a foot of line with the hook. Bait would be wavering in the current, boom, tailor. Was a killer method there for the tailor.

Return to “Melbourne CBD & Docklands area”