'cheating' for breams on nymph, sight fishing.

Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

'cheating' for breams on nymph, sight fishing.

Post by Sebb » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:00 am

Saw Docklands water was clear, so decided to fish.
Since they can be very fussy and easily spooked, I thought what could be more delicate than a small fly.

Went there around 4:15 pm and saw couple small breams and the odd one good sized bream.
Tried 'prawn' fly, small nymphs, woolly bugger, and nothing...

Started burleying after 30 mins, woolies breadcrumb and water. Did about 15 mins and breams started to come and hungry! To the point of literally hundreds of them!
I thought, surely they'll hit the fly. There's gotta be one stupid bream willing to take a prawn fly pattern, even tried small woolly bugger... Guess what, NOPE!

Remember the cartoon meme of a guy on a boat with a lot of fish in the water but they are all away of the bait? (Has anyone got this pic?). Was literally just like that. They would come and look at the woolly but didn't bite.

So I 'cheated' and used grey hare's ear nymph, because it kinda looks like a bread piece (I need to learn how to tie a bread fly).
Threw some burley and casted the nymph amongst the burley fooling them to see the nymph as a bread piece. Even that was hard.
The bite so subtle I had to totally sight 'strike' to get a hookup. The bites were just on the tip of their mouth too, no solid swallow.
So burleyed, dropped the fly, saw a fish mouth tip bite and stroke.

Managed to catch a few in the 1.5 hrs if fishing, ten to be exact. Was all undersized though. There were so many breams the smaller ones were going first before the big ones could even lay their eyes on the fly.

On the way home I thought, there was almost no difference to unweighted bait fishing with spinning gear. But fun overall on the 3 weight fly rod. Got the rod bending and my mind focused. It's like a reset button after few days of work.
Attachments
rps20190222_100746.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: 'cheating' for breams on nymph, sight fishing.

Post by Lightningx » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:14 am

Nice report and pic mate.
Fishing is definitely like therapy :thumbsup:

j_pap

Post by j_pap » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:01 am

I’ve never caught a bream around melbourne, was in Nelson on the Glenelg river on the weekend and caught about 6 in an hour.
Why are them city bream so fussy? Fuckin hipsters

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:09 am

you did well, the fish in docklands are highly pressured, they know the difference between bread, and bread with a hook stuck in it

j_pap

Post by j_pap » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:12 am

purple5ive wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:09 am
you did well, the fish in docklands are highly pressured, they know the difference between bread, and bread with a hook stuck in it

They’re evolving. Before you know it they’ll be walking up and down the boardwalk, busking for bread, who knows

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:13 am

j_pap wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:01 am
I’ve never caught a bream around melbourne, was in Nelson on the Glenelg river on the weekend and caught about 6 in an hour.
:rofl: :rofl:

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:22 am

j_pap wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:01 am
Especially Docklands breams, since there isn't much current etc there. Fancy breams.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:24 am

purple5ive wrote:
That's so true. My first few attempts there was plain white bread piece. When I put a hook on, they won't even tap it and still hammering the other free flow bread pieces.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:25 am

j_pap wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:12 am
purple5ive wrote:

They’re evolving. Before you know it they’ll be walking up and down the boardwalk, busking for bread, who knows
:rofl:

They'll probably bake their own bread!

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:55 am

If u want a bread fly, go buy some white coloured sponge rip or cut to mimic the shape you're burleying with. and just superglue onto hook. Some scent also helps.

Return to “Melbourne CBD & Docklands area”