I need advice for Albert Park trout

Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
Jasonfish1234
Has liked: 234 times

I need advice for Albert Park trout

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:08 pm

what circle, suicide hook size is for the trout or any other hook. What bait is work best there? The sinker size? I'm using handline.

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Re: I need advice for Albert Park trout

Post by eddyt » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:36 pm

Size 12 hooks. Smallest sinker possible to cast 5-10m out

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:13 pm

I would advise against using bait for AP trout. All the people i've spoken to never caught anything using bait, and I haven't either. Using bait also increases the likelihood of you gut hooking the fish which will probably kill them because trout, especially young ones, are very delicate fish. Since you're handlining, most likely your only option is bait, you might get some of the little, freshly stocked hatchery trout on bait but after a while they'll stop hitting it as they get conditioned to food in the lake. As for rigs, put the smallest sinker you have on a running sinker rig with about 30-60cm leader with a small hook on the end (6-12 suicide). Use powerbait or worms. Hold your handline in your hand and wait for bites as trout take very subtly and you'll probably miss it unless you're holding it. Fish in AP aren't fit for human consumption so catch and release is a must. Please wet your hands and try to return the fish as quickly as you can to increase its survival chances and so that others can enjoy them too :thumbsup:

Consider getting a cheap rod and reel combo and using hardbodies because trout, yellas and EP in albert park lake love them and I always get smashed using lures. Good luck out there.

cheers

croe

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:00 pm

Lures.is.the way to go at Albert park

Jasonfish1234

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:37 pm

croe04 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:13 pm
I would advise against using bait for AP trout. All the people i've spoken to never caught anything using bait, and I haven't either. Using bait also increases the likelihood of you gut hooking the fish which will probably kill them because trout, especially young ones, are very delicate fish. Since you're handlining, most likely your only option is bait, you might get some of the little, freshly stocked hatchery trout on bait but after a while they'll stop hitting it as they get conditioned to food in the lake. As for rigs, put the smallest sinker you have on a running sinker rig with about 30-60cm leader with a small hook on the end (6-12 suicide). Use powerbait or worms. Hold your handline in your hand and wait for bites as trout take very subtly and you'll probably miss it unless you're holding it. Fish in AP aren't fit for human consumption so catch and release is a must. Please wet your hands and try to return the fish as quickly as you can to increase its survival chances and so that others can enjoy them too :thumbsup:

Consider getting a cheap rod and reel combo and using hardbodies because trout, yellas and EP in albert park lake love them and I always get smashed using lures. Good luck out there.

cheers

croe
How about circle hook?

croe04

Post by croe04 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:17 pm

Jasonfish1234 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:37 pm
croe04 wrote:

cheers

croe
How about circle hook?
Never used circle hooks but in theory yes they'd work and probably have a lesser chance of harming the fish

Jasonfish1234

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:19 pm

croe04 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:17 pm
Jasonfish1234 wrote:
croe04 wrote:

cheers

croe
How about circle hook?
Never used circle hooks but in theory yes they'd work and probably have a lesser chance of harming the fish
Size 4 is OK?

croe04

Post by croe04 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:20 pm

Jasonfish1234 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:19 pm
croe04 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:17 pm
Jasonfish1234 wrote:
croe04 wrote:

cheers

croe
How about circle hook?
Size 4 is OK?
I've used size 4 before and had success but rule of thumb is smaller the better :thumbsup:

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:06 am

croe04 wrote:

cheers

croe
If he is using a handline and bait I don't think he is catch and releasing..

croe04

Post by croe04 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:16 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:06 am
croe04 wrote:

cheers

croe
If he is using a handline and bait I don't think he is catch and releasing..
Yeah catch and release on a handline with bait is difficult, but the fish aren't safe for consumption and if he eats them he'll probably get sick. Up to him though

Return to “Melbourne CBD & Docklands area”