fishing around south wharf

Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
Fish-Hunter

Re: fishing around south wharf

Post by Fish-Hunter » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:40 pm

eddyt wrote:there was a warning recently of sewerage running into the docks after the heavy rain. probably want to stay away from there for a while, at least until it clears up.

Does anyone actually fish around that bridge with the net thing above it and how deep is the water around there? I'm going to give it a try maybe next week.

The Maribyrnong's overflow sewerage pipes are pumping raw sewerage at the moment , I stay away during heavy rain periods the amount of E'coli & Crap is enough to make you sick :puke:

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:49 pm

sharklasers wrote:Hey guys, I'm curious... I've read in a few places that it would be OK to eat a Pinkie from the Yarra/Marbynong river, but not advisable for bream and salmon?

Is there a reason as to why Pinkie's are an exception?
Because Pinkies aint resident fish , the Pinkies travel in & out of the rivers more frequently than the Bream .The Bream live in these rivers & they also grow slowly & through the years the Bream eat all the crap infested food from the muddy river bed & it ends up in fishes flesh , sure you wont die if you eat the Bream . But they aint doing you any good either , so that's why so many Anglers sport fish the Bream & then release them & keep the Pinkies for a feed .

vxcalais
Has liked: 3 times

Post by vxcalais » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:01 am

sharklasers wrote:Hey guys, I'm curious... I've read in a few places that it would be OK to eat a Pinkie from the Yarra/Marbynong river, but not advisable for bream and salmon?

Is there a reason as to why Pinkie's are an exception?
A legal size Bream in over 20 years old. A legal size Pinkie is a couple years old if not less. Bream and Pinkies related so they grow quick initially, like Bream to 20cm and Pinkies to 40cm etc. Then after that they grow very very slowly. So a legal Bream is old, and legal Pinkie is not. Pinkies live out in the Bay and come in for a feed. Black Bream spend most of their life in the Estuary, and are more likely to move up the rivers than into the bay, except for the ones who live there under the major piers etc. So when you see the condition of our city Rivers, that is what turns people off.

When you open a Docklands Bream, its had crushed mussels (water filters). When you open the Pinkie, it has Bait fish.

Eat the Salmon, they are Clean, young fish, fast growers, but taste no good in my opinion.

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:35 am

Very nice... I guess I need to head back down there soon

Return to “Melbourne CBD & Docklands area”