Docklands

Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Re: Docklands

Post by Raulfc7 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:29 am

Nice report Sloth sounds like a good time
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:30 am

Yeah was amazing fun! Even if I didn't get a single hit! Learnt a lot and was able to swim a lot of the lures I have started to collect :)
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:27 pm

Persistence will pay off Cam. Once it clicks you won't look back. Last night was pretty slow ... Generally I find evenings/night fishing there better in winter - this time of year early morning seems to be the go around the edges and during the day it's the pontoons. Just a pity you had a blade on (I think) when the pinkies came through else you'd have got onto one I reckon.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:23 pm

was awesome to get down and meet sloth, learnt a lot about breamin' around the docks but also in general, it's a shame the bream didn't play ball but that's bream. I managed to get one pinkie that was in the end the largest pinkie although daves fought better :tongue: I hooked it in close to the docks and as the others have said we all got a bit excited because it looked like a good bream, it even tried to run me under the docks. When i got home I measured my rod and worked it out to be a touch over 30cm which makes it my first legal pinkie on lure :grin:
Attachments
P1060249.JPG
P1060249.JPG (99.3 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

sloth

Post by sloth » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:16 am

Nice Alex - you're ticking off the species nicely - how many species on the same grub now ? Definitely getting your money's worth out of that zman. It's tempting me to give them another run :)

I popped down at lunch yesterday and got another pinkie .... On an evercatch blade. Went through a few colours before they started hitting. The Matt black one with the faint purple/red spots did the damage - had it rigged with stinger hooks. They're such good fun on light gear :)

Was good catching up and as I've said to Cam we'll definitely do it again - will let you know when the regular sessions start again. If you ever want to know how it's fishing or have any questions I'm happy to help.

Cheers

vxcalais
Has liked: 3 times

Post by vxcalais » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:53 am

Well done guys. Mazman you should have kept it for the pan. Unlke the Bream they are not resident fish and move into the estuaries for a short while and back out into the bay.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:31 am

sloth wrote:Nice Alex - you're ticking off the species nicely - how many species on the same grub now ?
up to 9 on that grub, would be 10 but i got my bream on a bloodworm
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

sloth

Docklands

Post by sloth » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:23 am

So ….. been over a month since I had a pre-work docks session. Can’t complain though – it’s because I’ve had a month off work ..... so I threw the telescopic and a couple of micros in the bag today and headed to where it all started for me …. Whitecaps.

So I get there and someone has installed a whacking big, bream magnet right out front.

The all you can eat bream buffet.

Sighted some nice fish along here. Unfortunately the placard and boat attracts another couple of species - workus docklandus and tourista australis. I was trying to pitch along the edge and hoping for a hit on the start of the pendulum but my activities drew a crowd. One dude so helpful as to walk up to the edge where my lure just landed and excitedly tell me that “there’s fish there!”. Yes, yes there is.

So having checked out the new structure, so I can think about how best to exploit, I reverted to the original plan. Off for a bit of a walk…… None on any of the pontoon edges. A few contentedly chewing pylons. Looks like it’s a pylon day. Always amazes me how stealthy they can be even in clearish water with polaroids. I was looking down on a pylon that looked fishless and then a big flash as the bream that was there all the time rolled on its side. Gets the heart beating faster. So having checked out the area and key holding spots it was time to get to business.

Now, it’s been a while and I’ve been fishing the rivers for a month. So I had 4lb leader on my son’s 1000 shimano (easiest to grab on the way out) and the drag was fairly light. I’d bagged four or five pylon so I was starting to zone out a bit, not the best at the docks. I’d put the micro into a fishy spot … nice and shady, slight current, deep and close to a number of pylons and structure. And being lazy I pulled a heap of line off and let it sit on the water. By the time I noticed I was on I was already in trouble lol. Got the slack in and immediately the drag sang and I could see the line disappearing at a 45 degree angle under the wharf. Tighten the drag … try to keep the braid off the woodwork. Can see the leader knot so it’s coming up ….. and then … ahh now I see.

The line went between the chain mooring the witches hat and then the bream had dived hard left and wrapped me on the pylon. The bream was now having a bit of an unhappy moment on the surface and the line was hung on the pylon. Had to quickly free spool, get to the other side of the wharf and then drop the rod vertically by the hat and gently wind. Luckily as he came around the pylon he went straight our rather than around the witches hat. Not a bruiser but closest I’ve come to being bricked without it happening. Leader looked like it had been in the wars so snipped off the frayed section and re-tied.

Despite another twenty minutes that was going to be the only one for the day. Still, really enjoyed getting back to the old haunt and tussling with the bream under the docks reminded me why it’s so much fun and so addictive.

Last edited by sloth on Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:17 pm

Nice pic, healthy looking bream there.

chridest

Post by chridest » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:40 pm

Headed off to the docks today had two lines in the water of my own one had running sinker rig with size 4 hook with chicken on the end that caught me a 28cm bream and my red rum SP caught me a little pinkie plenty out there and are great fun, i might buy a telescopic rod because the asians there tonight were using them and pulled in about 6 bream in 30 mins but there were using yabbies so im not sure what to do its all trial and error. Havent been to the docks in about a year now looking forward to pull out some more nice fish, here are some pics ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Melbourne CBD & Docklands area”