Non-stop Werribee action

Williamstown, Altona, Point Cook, Werribee
Ploh

Non-stop Werribee action

Post by Ploh » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:06 pm

I've fished the mouth of the river dozens of times and I typically only get 1 or 2 fish per session, and often they're undersized. Nevertheless I go for the relaxation and fun, and so I expected no different for this session. I rarely keep fish and practise catch-and-release where possible.

I arrived as the sun was setting and the water was beautifully calm. There was a small current but other than that it was the calmest I've ever seen. The water was slightly dark but clear enough to see that it was teeming with bait fish. Even better, there was no seaweed floating around which Werribee boat ramp is notorious for. It can ruin an otherwise perfect night.
I brought along a cheap, generic 6"6' rod, loaded with 10lb mono, paternoster rig and small circle hooks.
IMG_20170407_184128_HDR.jpg
Before I get into the details, I would encourage everyone who is interested in catch-and-release and maximising undersized fish survival to...
1) Use circle hooks as they tend to gut/gill hook less.
2) Fish actively - And by that I mean holding your rod and responding to strikes as they come rather than leaving and watching your rod. This way you can set the hook instantly.
3) Being prepared to take out the hook as quickly as possible. Have all your equipment ready and accessible.
4) Debarbing your hooks - I can't stress this enough. I found absolutely no difference in hook up rates and losses when I debarbed my hooks. It makes removing the hooks so much easier and there is less trauma on the mouth
5) Handling fish with wet hands or a wet cloth
6) Getting the fish back into the water as soon as possible - even if this means missing out on a photo.

I loaded up my hooks and caught about 4 bream in the first hour or so. Already, this was a massive difference to many of my other sessions. One of these were legal but I released it back into the water. Every fish after this one was undersized but an incredible amount of fun.
I ended up hauling in 25 fish and dropping 4 as I was bringing them in. At one point, I even brought in two fish at once. I couldn't believe it when I saw two bream hanging off my line. I have never in my life caught so many fish in one session. I've only read about people casting and retrieving fish one after another but never experienced it myself.

I didn't take any photos of the fish because I wanted to get them back in as quickly as possible - you'll just have to take my word.
I did however take their measurements - they ranged anywhere from 15cm up to 28cm. There were quite a few around the 20cm mark.

It's nice to see the river being so productive with many juvenile fish - an indication of a healthy, growing population and one that I hope will last for generations to come.
Whilst this post may encourage fishing in this area, I hope this report also highlights safe and speedy release of fish and ultimately, a healthy respect for fish of all sizes, even if we can't bring them home for dinner.

Tight lines!

On a side note, I did see these weird water rats swimming around that looked like a cross between a large rat and an otter. I've never seen them before so if anyone knows what they are, please comment below.

bilby

Re: Non-stop Werribee action

Post by bilby » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:47 am

The weird water rats are Rakali: http://earthcarestkilda.org.au/get-invo ... ali-watch/

It sounds like you hit on quite a big school of fish there. In Gippsland, when I used to find large numbers of small bream, I found switching baits to be helpful. If you are using worms or prawn or similar, switch to crabs. In East Gippsland, spider crabs are dynamite, but locally, you can collect those small black crabs that live on mudflats and under rocks by the shoreline. Always remember to carefully put the rock back in the same position it came from, though - this retains the habitat in good condition.

To bait up, remove a front claw and pass a no. 8 or 6 hook through the claw opening and pin through the body of the crab (or two crabs for a better chance at a bigger bream). This should help to get your bait past the hordes of smaller fish.

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:41 am

I second what Bilby says about crabs - if you do want to bypass many of the smaller bream. I like your attitude toward releasing fish. I once observed a man catching many undersized bream and leaving them to die and rot on the banks of the Anglesea River. His attitude was that if he released any of them then they might again get to his bait before a larger fish had the chance, and that would be a pain in the arse.

Ploh

Post by Ploh » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:43 am

bilby wrote:The weird water rats are Rakali: http://earthcarestkilda.org.au/get-invo ... ali-watch/

It sounds like you hit on quite a big school of fish there. In Gippsland, when I used to find large numbers of small bream, I found switching baits to be helpful. If you are using worms or prawn or similar, switch to crabs. In East Gippsland, spider crabs are dynamite, but locally, you can collect those small black crabs that live on mudflats and under rocks by the shoreline. Always remember to carefully put the rock back in the same position it came from, though - this retains the habitat in good condition.

To bait up, remove a front claw and pass a no. 8 or 6 hook through the claw opening and pin through the body of the crab (or two crabs for a better chance at a bigger bream). This should help to get your bait past the hordes of smaller fish.
Ah that's what they are. I've seen them around St. Kilda before thinking that the restaurants nearby were just filthy and rat infested. Very interesting creatures and even stranger that they're native to Australia.

Cheers for the tips.
Queasy wrote:I second what Bilby says about crabs - if you do want to bypass many of the smaller bream. I like your attitude toward releasing fish. I once observed a man catching many undersized bream and leaving them to die and rot on the banks of the Anglesea River. His attitude was that if he released any of them then they might again get to his bait before a larger fish had the chance, and that would be a pain in the arse.

Disgusting behaviour. It obviously never occurred to the man that if he put the small fish back, it would eventually grow into a larger one in the future. I guess if you have that kind of attitude towards fishing, foresight is probably not one of your strong suits either.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:05 am

When I walk to aami park from south bank you often see them rakali around the palm trees swan st bridge. One got my kgw off the rocks at portarlington on dusk scared the sh@t out of me.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:27 pm

Top photo by the way :thumbsup:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:43 pm

Nice report! Sounds like you had plenty of action. Great pic :thumbsup:

adamk

Post by adamk » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:42 pm

nice pics, must be the season loads of water disturbances in that pic. an i tend to agree with getting the fish back in the water as fast as possible.

im hoping to hit the water myself tomorrow since the wife is off work an its only those days i can go out fishing

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:23 am

Most of the time it's the European brown rat that steals my baits.

Return to “Williamstown to Werribee”