Snaps Report Tues/Wed

Williamstown, Altona, Point Cook, Werribee
TheGreatestGoat

Snaps Report Tues/Wed

Post by TheGreatestGoat » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:43 pm

Done two pre-workers in a row. Absolutely knackered.

Have been getting them from Fawkner to T5 so saw no reason to change things up. Yesterday punched out to T9, wind was whipping up from the South so was bumpy in my little boat. Marked up some fish then as I’m anchoring a gust of wind blew my canopy off which then collected the anchor light on the way through. By the time I’d sorted out that schmozzle someone was on the mark and the joint was packed. Decided to head up to T5 which was empty. Only got about 30 mins of fishing in then had to head back in for work. Picked up one a touch under 3kegs. Was tough with wind against tide, but employed the anchor bridle for the first time and worked a treat, they are a winner.
Got a call last night from a mate saying he’d got some big 7kg+ fish just straight out from Willy. So given it’s way closer I thought I’d give that a crack this morning. He mentioned that there’s pinkys in plague proportions through first light but bigger fish coming on the chew a bit later at sunrise and 30 mins after. So I headed out and sounded around in 10-12 metres, he wasn’t wrong, huge schools of pinkies everywhere. Finally found some decent marks and burleyed up.

Well it was pinkies galore. Probably caught and released 25 ranging from undersize to a couple of larger models of 1kg but most 30-35 cm. I spoke to each and every one personally telling them to swim back down and send their parents and older siblings up to my Stacer.
Pilchards and silvers were getting smashed, so decided to think outside the box. Had heard of people using flathead for snapper bait, but never tried it. So sent down a snapper snatcher with a flathead head on one hook and the tail on the other with a coat of tuna oil. Didn’t have high hopes.

Well, I’ll be buggered if it’s only be down for 5 minutes when the rod howls off, rod tip about a foot under the water. Big, big fish. I’m thinking PB for sure. Minute into the fight huge head shake, line goes slack. Gutted. Retrieve a seriously mangled flathead head and circle hook had sort of gone into the mouth of the flathead. Don’t have any more heads so send the tail back down on a snelled rig. 10 minutes later, another huge buckle. Not as big as the first brute but still a very nice fish. Spits the hooks. There were a few boats close enough to see one of the dummy spits of the century, kicked the side of the boat, forgot I was wearing sandals, hurt, hopping up and down on one leg cursing.
Ah well, next time! Was a beautiful morning on the water and an action packed session even if didn’t get the big ones.

Cheers,
Goat

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Snaps Report Tues/Wed

Post by smile0784 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:53 pm

Well done mate

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:44 pm

awsome mate, well done you really are keen doing 1 hour sessions on the water.. cheers

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:56 pm

You're certainly committed....another great report

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:48 pm

Nice work mate :thumbsup: