First Boat

Williamstown, Altona, Point Cook, Werribee
smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: First Boat

Post by smile0784 » Sun May 27, 2018 6:45 am

What are other people opinion on if the back is mostly where you stand or sit is it worth moving them up the front too antiquate the weight of you at rest and retrieving

I use to have 1 at back and 1 at front on the quintrex.

If your only going out for half day, runnings basic electricals and if the main battery is good you only need 1 battery.

Maybe try just removing 1 full charged battery at present for 1 trip to see if the lean stops.

My pa use to run 1 battery for just motor and gps

I personally use to run 2 batteries due to launching earlys and have serperate 7inch gps and sounder, live bait pump, deck lights, nav lights cb radio and fm radio on for hours each morning trip.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Sun May 27, 2018 9:07 am

Always had only one battery but bigger than required and while fishing swtich off everything that does not need to be on

ChristianGoneFishing
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ChristianGoneFishing » Mon May 28, 2018 11:15 am

blacklab99 wrote:Hi,
Welcome to boating.
Don't try and balance it out, move it !!!
Having two batteries on one side of a tinnie is not Ideal, as your finding out.
The twin battery set up is good, but as your fairly local in your boating, probably not necessary, as long as you run with one good quality and charged up battery, I would have thought one would have been enough.
However, if your running a lot of electrical gear, two is the way.
I would definately be putting one battery on either side, not both on one side, I think even a fibre glass boat would list with 2 on one side,
I mean, that's like one person standing there all the time ( ok, a light person )
So, definately get one shifted, you can obviously feel it and there are probably safety issues there with the issues you've already stated.
Definately move one........

Col
Thanks Col

I use a radio, GPS and anchor winch mostly, but in warmer months all add lighting to that (more night fishing) so want to make sure I never have power issues.

As such your right I need to balance the weight. Problem is the other side has the built in livewell. This weekend I filled it even though not in use and that helped somewhat. The batteries would still appear far heavier than water though. The middle under the bait board is not in use maybe I'll move one or both batteries there.

On another note. 6 hours out at ws this weekend. Tried the spot all the way to ws and got 5 flatties and a squid. Was hoping for allot more squid in 6 hours non stop spinning. What a day though flat as a tac

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon May 28, 2018 12:30 pm

Do you fish on your own ?
If so having both batteries on driver side plus you alone driving will obviously cause a lot of lean.
I would move one battery towards the middle, and fill the livewell. That should steady the boat up a fair bit

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon May 28, 2018 12:44 pm

ChristianGoneFishing wrote:
Welcome to boating.
The twin battery set up is good, but as your fairly local in your boating, probably not necessary, as long as you run with one good quality and charged up battery, I would have thought one would have been enough.
I would definately be putting one battery on either side, not both on one side, I think even a fibre glass boat would list with 2 on one side,
I mean, that's like one person standing there all the time ( ok, a light person )
So, definately get one shifted, you can obviously feel it and there are probably safety issues there with the issues you've already stated.

Col
Thanks Col

I use a radio, GPS and anchor winch mostly, but in warmer months all add lighting to that (more night fishing) so want to make sure I never have power issues.

As such your right I need to balance the weight. Problem is the other side has the built in livewell. This weekend I filled it even though not in use and that helped somewhat. The batteries would still appear far heavier than water though. The middle under the bait board is not in use maybe I'll move one or both batteries there.

On another note. 6 hours out at ws this weekend. Tried the spot all the way to ws and got 5 flatties and a squid. Was hoping for allot more squid in 6 hours non stop spinning. What a day though flat as a tac
I know it’s not the feed you were after but better than nothing.
I love those days on the water when it’s flat like that. Absolutely beautiful :)

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Mon May 28, 2018 6:40 pm

ChristianGoneFishing wrote:
Welcome to boating.

Col
Thanks Col

Do you have any pics of the back of your boat?

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Mon May 28, 2018 6:44 pm

purple5ive wrote:Do you fish on your own ?
If so having both batteries on driver side plus you alone driving will obviously cause a lot of lean.
I would move one battery towards the middle, and fill the livewell. That should steady the boat up a fair bit
Do you have any slack on battery cables

ChristianGoneFishing
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ChristianGoneFishing » Mon May 28, 2018 7:18 pm

smile0784 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:Do you fish on your own ?
Do you have any slack on battery cables
I don't fish on my own often but yes, when I do it's even worse as all the weight is on my side.

And yes another issue is there is no slack on the cables and for the middle I'll need some welding to alow for straps to hold the battery in place, and I'm not very handy you could say. So relocating the batteries is not such a simple task for me but appears necessary nevertheless.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:12 pm

If yout.battery boxes are standard ones under the battery box there are 2 plastic loops that screw down and the straps go threw and around the battery box

So just need to be handy with screws and a drill
but if you have to get a expert to extrend or rerun power cables they will probably do that for you

Return to “Williamstown to Werribee”