Altona Pinky bash

Williamstown, Altona, Point Cook, Werribee
smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Altona Pinky bash

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:38 am

Snuck the yak in on Sunday morning for my Maiden Voyage into PPB.
Launched at Millers road.

Mazman and Basti have me hooked on buying more Majorcraft rods , had a new 2-5 and Egi rod that needed christening.

Was a super easy launch, there were a lot of kayakers about. Always nice to see, especially for noobs like me. Safety in numbers is a win.

Didnt get a touch on the squid jigs , I did persist and switched through colours. The water was a little dirty though.

I gave up and switched to a plastic hoping for some fish for lunch.

Second cast, bang! I was on.
Pulled pretty hard and had the little Luvias humming a merry tune.
A 48cm Pinky came up yak side.
Promptly bled it and into the esky it went.
Pinky.JPG
From there on , it was Mayhem! had about 8 more fish.
I took the 48 and a 35 home and released the rest.

I left em biting, on the paddle back , I marked some fish on the sounder and looked straight down into a school of salmon under the yak. They looked pretty standard Bay trout size, didnt seem interested in my half hearted attempts at getting them to eat a slimswimz.
A pod of 6 dolphins Swam by and I startled a sunbathing seal who voiced his opinions about my sneaky Hobie ways, loudly.

was great to be home , with fresh fillets and the kayak put away by 1030 on a Sunday morning.
grillshot.JPG
Cooked em fleshy side down for a change
made a cracking lunch too, with grilled fish wraps .

Fish Wraps.JPG
Assembly job with sweet chilli sauce

Got to find some cleaner water for the Egi Christening, I leave to India on Saturday, cant wait to get back to my fishy ways in November.

IMG_7331.JPG
Marlin approved.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Altona Pinky bash

Post by purple5ive » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:57 am

well done man, good christening party indeed.
has niroj got his yak yet?
im also looking into these majorcraft models for my cousins soon, how much and what model was the 2-5kg, its an ideal size as an allrounder although i suspect its a short rod being in a yak.

a 48cm is a snapper legally. well done, those fish wraps look great too.
cheers

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:03 am

purple5ive wrote:well done man, good christening party indeed.
has niroj got his yak yet?
im also looking into these majorcraft models for my cousins soon, how much and what model was the 2-5kg, its an ideal size as an allrounder although i suspect its a short rod being in a yak.

a 48cm is a snapper legally. well done, those fish wraps look great too.
cheers

Niroj is still Yakless.
But I am hopeful that he will yak-soon.

Have to doublecheck with Alex on the Specs, its a Majorcraft Days 2-5 , that costs between a 1/4oz and an ounce I think.
I honestly dont know the exact breakdown of pricing , i just pay Alex and he imports them for me.
Will Check at home and let you know, it had PLENTY of grunt though.

its a good rod overall though, Alex uses it for Stream bass fishing. :thumbsup: Cant wait to get one of those!

48cm Snapper it is!
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

M9085

Post by M9085 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:06 am

Well done man! You got me excited. How far out were you fishing. If the winds stay down I may head out there this evening. I don’t have a sounder on my yak so will have to fish blund

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:09 am

ahaha **** thats defenitely a beast if its casting 1oz.
ill speak to alex then, see what he has to say.
what sounder did you end up getting.

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:15 am

purple5ive wrote:ahaha **** thats defenitely a beast if its casting 1oz.

I was with the Hawk on Saturday and ALMOST pulled the trigger on a Hook 7.
The only thing that stopped me is that I am going to India on Friday and will be away for most of October.
Figured that IF Lowrance in the off chance released something that has touch screen and a tripleshot transducer while I am gone, Id feel like an idiot.

But that being said, I am getting a hook 7 as a Christmas present for the Yak if we are still at status quo in December.

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:17 am

M9085 wrote:Well done man! You got me excited. How far out were you fishing. If the winds stay down I may head out there this evening. I don’t have a sounder on my yak so will have to fish blund
Wasnt more than 700m from shore, I could see my car for the whole duration. Only floundered about in about 5.5 metres of water for the most part.

I have a basic sounder that I use to mark up depth and water temp and anything directly under me.

My approach is usually to just cast blind and hope for the best.

Again, i may have a sounder on my yak, but getting advice from me on snapper fishing is like the blind leading the blind. :rofl:

Just get out there :a_goodjob:

I usually do my best and the fish do the rest :cheers:

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:20 am

smokin_reels wrote:

The only thing that stopped me is that I am going to India on Friday and will be away for most of October.
Figured that IF Lowrance in the off chance released something that has touch screen and a tripleshot transducer while I am gone, Id feel like an idiot.

But that being said, I am getting a hook 7 as a Christmas present for the Yak if we are still at status quo in December.
new flagship model is out soon, so the others might drop in price again, so yeah wait it out..
im flying in a few days ;-)
touchscreen on a yak might be a bit funny sometimes, if your fingers are wet they dont work properly on touchscreen, so ask alex about all of that properly before getting as he has a touchscreen atm.

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:26 am

purple5ive wrote:
smokin_reels wrote:

new flagship model is out soon, so the others might drop in price again, so yeah wait it out..
touchscreen on a yak might be a bit funny sometimes, if your fingers are wet they dont work properly on touchscreen, so ask alex about all of that properly before getting as he has a touchscreen atm.

Im getting two days in on the Mahseer again :banana:

You flying back? who is getting married this time ? :rofl:
Im only going because I am! :o_0:

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:38 am

smokin_reels wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
smokin_reels wrote:

Im getting two days in on the Mahseer again :banana:

You flying back? who is getting married this time ? :rofl:
Im only going because I am! :o_0:

haha thank **** no ones getting married, its a family get together so only 10 day trip, no fishing i think as im travelling with the twins and im super nervous as is, never taken them on a plane before and my wife is a nervous flyer, so i could possibly have 3 problem people to deal with on a flight, daughter likes a bit of thrill, son is a wimp..
im an australian citizen so yes ill be coming back ;-)

Return to “Williamstown to Werribee”