Soft Plastics

Williamstown, Altona, Point Cook, Werribee
ChristianGoneFishing
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Soft Plastics

Post by ChristianGoneFishing » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:02 am

I feel the same lately. In the winter I was bringing in more flatties on sp's than bait and confidence was sky high that it really was an affective way of fishing. Since spring nothing caught on sp's, all on bait. I read that snapper and even whiting will take them, but have not been able to entice one. Even the flatties have been on bait only. I still give it a go for an hour or two when out on the tinny, rotating my plastic with a few varieties of colors in grubs and minnows.

Keen to hear if others are having more luck what they are using. I use grubs in motor oil, brown, gold and red and minnows in white, nuclear chicken, pilchard and whiting colors. Also spray on scent if im reusing any for more than one outing.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:48 am

your wasting your time if the plastic isnt hitting the bottom, so make sure that it is...

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:09 pm

Mmm.... Im a huge soft plastic fan these days. In fact its now 80% of my fishing action. Got educated on it's merit in Qld yrs ago. You gotta mix it up mate on drops and retrieves to get the hits. Can go on one style, say cast, drop and slow retreive and think there is nothing there. But same softie and weight with a cast, drop, sharp lift, few meter retrieve, drop and repeat will get smashed. Other times the first approach will get smashed. Then again a cast drop now n then jag will do it. But its amazing how you can with the same plastic and jig head do just 1 method and get ZERO result. Mate, I'm not proud enough to say that I was wised up to that by a 14 yr old kid to mixing it up when I was in QLD. He was watching me then came over and said "try this" and showed me. All it was, was a different drop retrieve with my same gear. I then got smashed every single drop, where as the same gear was getting me great big fat ZERO'S until then. Great kid, shook his hand and told him so too. Never looked back all thanks to a kid 1/4 of my age.
:thumbsup:

ChristianGoneFishing
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ChristianGoneFishing » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:17 pm

I'll certainly have a go at mixing it up more. It's definitely most satisfying way to catch them.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:25 pm

I agree mate. I much prefer catching fish on lures/plastics ;-)

Paul Foot

Post by Paul Foot » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:34 pm

Definitely persist I love SP fishing for flathead now, I used to just do it while I was bored waiting a fish to bite but now I take it seriously, do it almost exclusively and results have been much better. I have had some donut days and other days getting smashed by flathead. Try anything. Cast anywhere. Don't do the same thing that isn't working. Try any sort of retrieve until something eats it. Use bigger lures, previously I was a fan of the 2.5 Grubz and 3" minnowz but at the moment 4" and 5" streakz curl tail are working better, heavier jig heads, lighter jig heads, hidden weight jig heads on the smaller 2.5 grubs and minnowz, especially if the water is clear and shallow. Keep it simple, try and have your favorite SP in a light color, dark colour and a fluro color and swap between them. Most importantly, don't listen to me or anyone else and just try stuff.

Only hit I got today in one and half hours was a flattie well in excess of 60cm and I lost it trying to stuff around get it in the net, it came off the SP and swam slowly away in front of me, so painful.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:40 pm

It happens mate.
I know the feeling too well.

Scozziefish71

Post by Scozziefish71 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:31 pm

LINwAd wrote:
Scozziefish71 wrote:
Carpie1 wrote:Anyone can have a Donut day. In a report I read about 2 weeks ago they were catching Bream on SP's around the piles and moored boats at Ferguson Street Pier.
I have been to Ferguson st pier a few times and spoken to a few guys, not too much happening at all.
Maybe the time of year, weather etc, I don't know.
It's been pretty quiet around Williamstown for flatties, caught a heap of pinkies the size of my palm a few times over the last two weeks but no flathead!
I finally broke my hoodoo on the Bream with soft plastics at the Yarra channel next to the Warmies. I tried a 2" Z man grub as you suggested in your Ferguson pier video and caught three, just small ,but fun. Cheers :thumbsup:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:50 pm

Still alright mate. A little bit of fun is better than nothing :)

LINwAd

Post by LINwAd » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:36 pm

Scozziefish71 wrote:
LINwAd wrote:
Scozziefish71 wrote:
Carpie1 wrote:Anyone can have a Donut day. In a report I read about 2 weeks ago they were catching Bream on SP's around the piles and moored boats at Ferguson Street Pier.
I have been to Ferguson st pier a few times and spoken to a few guys, not too much happening at all.
Maybe the time of year, weather etc, I don't know.
It's been pretty quiet around Williamstown for flatties, caught a heap of pinkies the size of my palm a few times over the last two weeks but no flathead!
I finally broke my hoodoo on the Bream with soft plastics at the Yarra channel next to the Warmies. I tried a 2" Z man grub as you suggested in your Ferguson pier video and caught three, just small ,but fun. Cheers :thumbsup:
Good stuff mate. It's awesome you got a fish.
LandFishTV creator - https://www.youtube.com/landfishtv/ Enjoy! :water:

Return to “Williamstown to Werribee”