Help! - Fishing off Altona

Williamstown, Altona, Point Cook, Werribee
JeremyG
Has liked: 2 times

Help! - Fishing off Altona

Post by JeremyG » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:41 pm

Hi guys

Have just rejoined this forum after recently buying my first little tinny. Have been taking the kids out on PPB, out of Altona and having a great time, but not catching any fish!

We have fished at The Stick (got snagged lots) and also past the pier towards Point Cook and the mouth of Kororoit and Skeleton Ck. We have gone out 3-4 times now, launching at around 7am and fishing for 4 hours or so, and besides a few pinkies and one decent flathead, we have caught bugger all! We typically use paternoster rigs, 4/0 suicide hooks and pilchards (sometimes double up with squid) and fish on the drift.

We have been fortunate in that the lat few times we have gone out there has been little wind or swell (we are only in a 3.9m tinny), but am wondering if the lack of drift is part of the issue?

Are we doing something wrong?? Any tips tricks or spots that you care to share?

Also keen to try soft plastics (particularly when there's no wind), so any thoughts on what works best in PPB etc would be greatly appreciated!

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Help! - Fishing off Altona

Post by bowl » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:51 pm

Gulp turtleback worm....
Maybe try running sinker rig, as bait needs to be dragged along bottom for flathead.
Drift on sand flats for flathead....either side alton pier.
For pinkies anchor n burly imo...
While drifting try for squid. I have caught just out from altona ramp.
20190311_185039.jpg
make sure you stay out side of markers
Google son ppb vids..
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Dr Snapper
Has liked: 7 times

Post by Dr Snapper » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:12 pm

Try extra long hooks 1/0 for flathead in that area and, as bowl suggested, try a running sinker.
The extra long hooks help as they don’t get engulfed as much by the flathead; more caught in the lip.
Try sqiid for bait but don’t overdo the amount.
That seems to work for me at the moment. I’ve been catching about ten flathead each trip lately around Altona / Williamstown, and at least 12+ undersized (which will keep the kids entertained).

Good luck,once you get the hang of it the flatties will be filling up your bucket.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:34 pm

Just inside the red stick just out from ramp for whiting with pippies and no:6 long shank

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:45 pm

Hey, thanks guys. Much appreciated!

thebigal_au
Has liked: 5 times

Post by thebigal_au » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:32 pm

That area is really good for large flathead and occasional runs of snapper. I have taken many people out there and find there not catching because the hooks and sinkers they use are far too big. Lots of bites but not hook-ups. Here is a video I did on my kayak on that exact spot some time ago, which has plenty of pointers that should help you out. https://youtu.be/VEXa7FMDf_Q I hope that helps you, plenty more vids on the channel from Altona such as this one too https://youtu.be/rtzVPnZU-jM best regards Al

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:36 pm

Hey. Thanks Al. Great vids!

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:29 pm

bowl wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:51 pm
Gulp turtleback worm....
Maybe try running sinker rig, as bait needs to be dragged along bottom for flathead.
Drift on sand flats for flathead....either side alton pier.
For pinkies anchor n burly imo...
While drifting try for squid. I have caught just out from altona ramp.20190311_185039.jpgmake sure you stay out side of markers
Google son ppb vids..
How far/deep is that? Reachable by kayak?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:40 pm

When targeting flathead specifically with bait i like to use a paternoster rig (single or double) and stick the rods out the side of the boat rather than out the back as you would for snapper and just drop the bait straight down off the side until the sinker just hits the bottom.

Flathead are ambush predators so my theory is that with the rocking movement of the boat the sinkers are bouncing up and down on the bottom as you drift along, hopefully causing little puffs of sand which get the flatties attention.

I have had a lot more success with this method compared to dragging a bait that has been cast away from the boat.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

j_pap

Post by j_pap » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:04 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:40 pm
When targeting flathead specifically with bait i like to use a paternoster rig (single or double) and stick the rods out the side of the boat rather than out the back as you would for snapper and just drop the bait straight down off the side until the sinker just hits the bottom.

Flathead are ambush predators so my theory is that with the rocking movement of the boat the sinkers are bouncing up and down on the bottom as you drift along, hopefully causing little puffs of sand which get the flatties attention.

I have had a lot more success with this method compared to dragging a bait that has been cast away from the boat.
Stops your bait from getting caught in weeds too

Return to “Williamstown to Werribee”